Scavenging Parts from Rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Random Dude

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi guys, happened to have a good offer on a SF2 ECCR.
However, since I'm a long way from getting qualified with rebreathers, I was thinking about the possibility of scavenging parts from it to use as my twinset.
The rebreather comes with a Shearwater Petrel 2, 2 Apeks DS4 first stages, a XTX 20 second stage, and a dive rite BCD

Was wondering if I can scavenge the dive computer, regs, and BCD for my double tank OC set, and sell off (or leave it disassembled until later) the remaining items of the rebreather. Would there be any technical incompatibility regarding the parts?

Hope to hear from you guys, thanks in advance!

Last edited:
@tbone1004 Thanks for the reply!
If you don't mind me asking, are there any differences between a stock, CCR capable petrel, and a dive can petrel? Or is the connection just an add on that can be removed?

@tbone1004 Thanks for the reply!
If you don't mind me asking, are there any differences between a stock, CCR capable petrel, and a dive can petrel? Or is the connection just an add on that can be removed?

the connection is permanent unfortunately so while the normal Petrels can run in "ccr mode" they have no way to monitor the cells or in the case of the controllers, run the solenoid

I own two SF2's, am an SF2 instructor, and am probably qualified to answer some of these questions.

Divecan petrels have an underwater compatible disconnect. There will be a cable that runs off the petrel, but it's functional if it's unplugged from the head. However you'd be losing the controller for the CCR, and therefore rendering it inoperable. I can not imagine anyone buying the CCR head without the petrel 2 controller unless they already own at least one SF2 and just want a spare head.

The DS4 first stages are needed for the diluent and oxygen which drive the unit. Including them in the SF2 adds value to the unit, and given that you can buy them brand new all day long for $140 a piece from TecMe (Tec Ausrüstung, Cave Diving, Rebreather Zubehör), there's no reason to strip used ones from the unit to put them onto a doubles setup.

The only thing really worth scavenging off this unit would be the wing. Maybe. Dive Rite has a number of wings in different shapes and sizes, a wing with only 30# of lift is useless for a doubles config.

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom