SCBA vs SCUBA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

harold3

Registered
Reaction score
My first "professional" vocation was as a fire fighter and one of the bits of kit that was a major part of my life was the SCBA gear. Which is a close cousin of the SCUBA gear, Only thing being the SCBA isn't designed for underwater use (thus the lack of the U).

Now, as I'm preparing to kit up for my soon to start classes, I have some concerns.

I'll be buying basic gear to start, which means I won't be buying a tank right off the bat. BUT from my previous experience I know I'm an air hog, and while this isn't a major issue on land (swap a bottle is easy with quick releases etc) it might be so underwater. As in I know that I won't be able to use the same volume of air as the rest of the class for the same amount of time.

Out of courtesy should I go ahead and plan on buying a larger tank from the outset so as not to lessen others time in the water? It's not a huge expendature or financial burden to do so, I just don't want to tottally gear up until I fully understand what a piece of kit would offer for me so I'm not likely to go hog wild with an AMEX card at the diveshop getting every shiney bit of kit I can get my hands on, but I would like to have a nice solid Basic setup that will reduce or negate any mundane problems.

Not sure if you mean to buy a tank for class but I wouldn't worry about that. You're not that long or deep. For the pool, most classes I've seen they bring plenty of extras so swapping would likely not be a problem, you can check on that if you're really worried. In the first OW dives most people will suck down air like crazy. It's even possible you will do relatively well because of using the SCBA gear previously, or be less stressed out than some other people might be, or whatever.

So I would wait and see how you do in class and maybe just a couple dives after that. There are arguments for and against having your own tanks. You may very well want to buy your own tanks but if you wait a little more you will know a little more. There are a couple factors in choosing a tank than just size. And if you're getting your own tank you will probably want more than one. Don't know where and how you will be diving, but it's pretty common to go for more than one dive (and not have a handy place to get a fill right there), or go out on a boat where you do more than one dive.

First off, you probably won't need a larger tank for classes, as they are ususally short dives for skills evaluations. You should talk to your instructor. Besides, you won't be able to buy or rent tanks until you are certified.

If you still feel you need a larger tank, I suggest (if you haven't already) find out what tanks are available for rent in your area. As I mentioned, you won't be able to rent them yourself until you get your card, but you might be able to convince your instructor to rent them for you.

After you are certified, you should think long and hard about buying tanks. It typically costs about $2 more to rent one versus getting your's filled. And you have to pay for annual service and 5-year hydro tests. At $2 / fill, it takes a long time to pay off a tank, especially when you have to pay for the tests/inspections.

Also, is you are traveling to your dive sites, it's usually much more convenient to rent once you get there.

There are advantages to owing your own tanks. Just wanted to point out some of the considerations.

Have fun!

Hi,

I used to be a volunteer firefighter and used SCBA for many years. It is great preparation for SCUBA, as you are already used to the claustrophobic sensation of wearing a mask and breathing a tank of air.

Since SCUBA is much less "active", you may be surprised at how much less air you use. You are already used to controlled breathing, whereas many of your classmates will go through a lot of air just from the stress factor.

I would wait until you have completed your open water dives and then decide if you need to buy a tank. Maybe compare remaining air levels with your classmates after each dive to get an idea if you would end up holding them back. As mentioned, in the pool it is not a big deal to jump out and switch tanks. (keep in mind that if you buy a tank, it is difficult to take with you on a flying vacation, so will likely be the most use if you plan to do a lot of local diving - in which case you may want to buy 2)

Personally, I always seem to have more air left than the person I'm buddied with, but it doesn't bother me to finish on their schedule. Just one of those things. Oh, and I've never had an OOA situation in SCUBA, but I did have one in SCBA. Very good prep if it ever happens in SCUBA!

I wouldn't buy tanks until you finish your class and do a few dives and see what your "true" air consumption is going to be. No sense buying something until you figure out what best fits your needs.

harold3:
My first "professional" vocation was as a fire fighter and one of the bits of kit that was a major part of my life was the SCBA gear. Which is a close cousin of the SCUBA gear, Only thing being the SCBA isn't designed for underwater use (thus the lack of the U).

Now, as I'm preparing to kit up for my soon to start classes, I have some concerns.

I'll be buying basic gear to start, which means I won't be buying a tank right off the bat. BUT from my previous experience I know I'm an air hog, and while this isn't a major issue on land (swap a bottle is easy with quick releases etc) it might be so underwater. As in I know that I won't be able to use the same volume of air as the rest of the class for the same amount of time.

Out of courtesy should I go ahead and plan on buying a larger tank from the outset so as not to lessen others time in the water? It's not a huge expendature or financial burden to do so, I just don't want to tottally gear up until I fully understand what a piece of kit would offer for me so I'm not likely to go hog wild with an AMEX card at the diveshop getting every shiney bit of kit I can get my hands on, but I would like to have a nice solid Basic setup that will reduce or negate any mundane problems.

Welcome to SCUBA. I have some information that might help you. I spent 5 years as a firefighter and you can in no way (if that is what you are doing) compare your air consumption during breathing from an SCBA to breathing during diving. My air consumption while geared up was horrible, better than most of the other guys, but still horrible. You are wearing your bunker gear and any movement raises your consumption and starts to wear on you. SCUBA is totally different and your consumption habits wont be the same. Oh, they might start out high, but that will change. I outlast all my buddies when we go diving and I use an AL80 just like they do. It would be overkill for me to have a larger tank unless/until I decide to start staying down on my own.

My suggestion would be to dive for at least a couple of months or 30-40 dives before you buy your own tanks. By that time your comfort level should be fairly established and your SAC rates should be fairly stable so you can make a better decision on what size tanks to buy. If you are constantly the cause for ending the dives due to low air then larger tanks are a must, but if you are not then 80s should be fine.

My suggestion

Ditto blizzard and rockock3, also there is a difference in the way air is delivered. SCUBA regulators deliver air on demand and a SCBA is a positive pressure system where air is continually delivered to your mask at about 5 psi then increase with demand.

blizzard:
Hi,

I used to be a volunteer firefighter and used SCBA for many years. It is great preparation for SCUBA, as you are already used to the claustrophobic sensation of wearing a mask and breathing a tank of air.

Since SCUBA is much less "active", you may be surprised at how much less air you use. You are already used to controlled breathing, whereas many of your classmates will go through a lot of air just from the stress factor.

I would wait until you have completed your open water dives and then decide if you need to buy a tank. Maybe compare remaining air levels with your classmates after each dive to get an idea if you would end up holding them back. As mentioned, in the pool it is not a big deal to jump out and switch tanks. (keep in mind that if you buy a tank, it is difficult to take with you on a flying vacation, so will likely be the most use if you plan to do a lot of local diving - in which case you may want to buy 2)

Personally, I always seem to have more air left than the person I'm buddied with, but it doesn't bother me to finish on their schedule. Just one of those things. Oh, and I've never had an OOA situation in SCUBA, but I did have one in SCBA. Very good prep if it ever happens in SCUBA!

Thanks, the only worry I have about OOA is that for scba, you can "huff your pit" and be relatively fine to exit... I don't think that nice comforting (but smelly) option will be there to comfort me.

O2BBubbleFree:
There are advantages to owing your own tanks. Just wanted to point out some of the considerations.

Have fun!

The major reason I would buy besides the one stated above(being the one that always ends the dive because of air) would be bacause I would have the comfort of knowing that the tank is upkept regularily by me, I would know if it'd been dropped, dinged, or whatever; I would know how it was handled... just that extra comfort of knowing. While the financial return on investment might not be all that great, the psychological return would be better for me.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom