Schooling barracuda fish? Swimming inside the school?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjjj111

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am wondering exactly where there are big schools of fish? I have seen the sardines in Moalboal and Mactan Island, Jack fish at Balicasag Island. Are there any locations in the Philippines to see schools of barracuda? Of course I want to try and swim inside the school. Will the barracuda let me swim close enough to swim beside and inside the school?

I saw a nice school of barracuda off the coast of Dumaguete three or four years ago. There is a natural hot spring and from what I understand they are pretty much residents there. It was nothing like the sardines of Pescador or the jacks at Balicasag though. We just tucked in behind a big coral head and watched them just hang out in the current. If memory serves there were 20 or 30 maybe. Nice sized ones as well. I don't think they will let you get too close though. They were pretty wary of us.
Hopefully someone can give you some better/updated info.

Best of luck and safe diving.

I don't know where to find barracuda in the Pillippines, but in general it is possible to get inside of a school of them. Best bet ist to observe their movement and position yourself staying still, waiting for them to move towards you, or to move towards them very slowly and carefully.

I saw a nice school of barracuda off the coast of Dumaguete three or four years ago. There is a natural hot spring and from what I understand they are pretty much residents there. It was nothing like the sardines of Pescador or the jacks at Balicasag though. We just tucked in behind a big coral head and watched them just hang out in the current. If memory serves there were 20 or 30 maybe. Nice sized ones as well. I don't think they will let you get too close though. They were pretty wary of us.
Hopefully someone can give you some better/updated info.

Best of luck and safe diving.

Where exactly in Dumaguete were you at? What outfit were you diving with? Any other information you can give me about location or any thing else? Maybe dive location name?

Depends on the species of barracuda of course. Right here in SoCal I once saw at least 500 Pacific barracuda inside our dive park and swam into it. I believe they were schooling in such numbers to spawn.

Right, my experience was with chevron barracuda. Managed several time to be on the inside of a barracuda tornado, with the big school circling around you.

Maybe 5 years ago I swam through a school of about 40-50 barracuda right here in Florida off of the wreck of the Bibb in Key Largo.
Never seen such a school again in any of the upper Keys wrecks since. Just the occasional group of 4 or 5 fish.

Back
Top Bottom