Schrade Water Rat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldschool

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone have this knife? I've recently lost my wenoka z lock and am looking for a replacement but something a bit less expensive. I ran across this one and it seems to fit the bill. I plan on mounting it point facing up on my bc shoulder strap so a secure sheath is a must. All input is appreciated.

Schrade had always made cheap, crappy knives.

My humble opinion is that if you're going to carry a knife underwater to cut something with, then get a knife from a respectable manufacturer that actually would have an edge that can cut things with.

Most dive knives are so badly made that I have no understanding why they should even be bought much less carried. You don't carry a dive knife just because everybody and their brothers carry one. You carry a dive knife so that you can cut yourself out of trouble. Otherwise might as well save the money and hassle by not carrying anything at all.

That said, I'd suggest a folding pocket knife by Spyderco or Benchmade. For around $40-50, you'd actually get a knife that would be able to perform its function as a knife.

Cutlery Shoppe

Thanks for the feedback. Yesterday, I got an e-mail from a dive buddy that he found my Wenoka Z-Lock during a dive this past Saturday. Oh Happy day!! I love that knife. I'd been doing some more research on the Water Rat. It appears to be the same knife as the one sold by OMS. Hmm... Either good news for Schrade or bad news for OMS.

Thanks for the feedback. Yesterday, I got an e-mail from a dive buddy that he found my Wenoka Z-Lock during a dive this past Saturday. Oh Happy day!! I love that knife. I'd been doing some more research on the Water Rat. It appears to be the same knife as the one sold by OMS. Hmm... Either good news for Schrade or bad news for OMS.

I buy knives that are made by reputable knife manufacturers. OMS, Halcyon, et al, buy crappy knives from unknown or cheap makers then put their names on them.

Most of the dive knives can't even cut hot butter much less anything else.

Sorry to revive a dead thread...

I had this knife on my Wishlist on Amazon. Not even sure what the actual brand is.
Scuba Diving 8" Beta Titanium Blunt-Tip Dive Knife Orange Handle w/ Black Sheath

The price looked good at $27.98 Says it's Titanium. Doesn't seem to have any moving parts on the lock (e.g. springs that could rust).

Then last night I was searching around and found the Schrade Water Rat for $12.32 and $6.99 for black.

The two are identical. Not sure which if one is a rebranding of the other or what, but the price difference is pretty big.

Anyone know why?

I hadn't considered Schrade to be crappy. The only experience I had with them is a Bomb Tech knife they made which seemed pretty decent.

Also found this quick review on another thread. So the Schrade it steel. The other, more expensive one says "Titanium", so I can only assume that's the reason for the price difference.

For the price of the Schrade I would almost consider buying both if for not other reason than the Schrade has the nylon sheath holder and it could serve as a back-up if the lock on the Ti one breaks.

I have a pair of SS medical sheers that have rust on them and I always clean them in fresh water after a dive. So I can only assume the Schrade would probably start rusting pretty quick, especially where I dive.

Last edited:
Well, I have a Schrade Water Rat. The sheath is garbage, and the tab holding it in breaks easily. Also, the stainless is garbage. I left it unrinsed for like 15 minutes, and then rinsed it off and sheathed it before it was completely dry. It was completely rusty a week later. That thing is truly garbage. Get a Trilobite, you'll be better off.

Good to know. Thanks victorzamora. I wonder if that other one is any better since it's titanium. Probably doesn't change the crappiness of the sheath though.
user-offline.png

Cheap titanium knives dull incredibly quickly, and, because of the characteristics of titanium, are practically impossible to sharpen.

I have to ask....why such a big knife?

Cheap titanium knives dull incredibly quickly, and, because of the characteristics of titanium, are practically impossible to sharpen.

I have to ask....why such a big knife?

Good to know.

Not sure what you mean by big... seems pretty average size to me.

[video=youtube;IfzAS5sqevE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfzAS5sqevE[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom