Science of Diving book recall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jar546

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I was working on the Science of Diving through SSI. In chapter 1 there were some problems and I was recently told to hand in the book for another one that had made some corrections. I now have the first addition, second printing of 11/2010.

I think there are still some issues with the book. Can anyone please help me verify these issues?

Example 1:

Page 1-35 has the formula for calculating SRV from SAC as:

SRV=SAC/(Pw x Vw)

Pw=working pressure of the cylinder (gauge pressure)
Vw=Surface volume when cylinder is filled to working pressure.

Should this actually be:

SRV=SAC/(Pw / Vw) ?

on Page 1-36 they have another formula issue for calculating the SAC if the SRV is known. They have it as:

SAC=SRV/(Pw x Vw)

Once again, I believe it is suppose to be:

SAC=SRV/(Pw / Vw) Not sure why they give the formula then use a different one in the examples.

On page 1-34 they have a formula for finding current pressure needed for a surface volume with a formula shown as:

Vc=(Vw x Pc) / Pw

When in actuality, the formula for finding the pressure needed should be:

Pc=(Vc x Pw) / Vw

Vc is actually the current surface volume of the cylinder.

Any assistance with this would help.

I emailed SSI and received a response that they will be making corrections again to #1 & #2 above but will leave #3 alone (pg 1-34) as they feel the student should be able to figure out the formula.

Just and FYI to any of you currently doing the Science Of Diving through SSI.

On page 1-34 they have a formula for finding current pressure needed for a surface volume with a formula shown as:
Vc=(Vw x Pc) / Pw
When in actuality, the formula for finding the pressure needed should be:
Pc=(Vc x Pw) / Vw

I emailed SSI and received a response that they will [snip] leave #3 alone (pg 1-34) as they feel the student should be able to figure out the formula.
I'll go out on a limb and say if I were to publish in bold italics in a colored sidebar a "Formula for finding current pressure needed for a particular surface volume" I would want to provide the pertinent transform of the formula. Saying "figure it out" is disrespectful. I've taught SoD to five capable young men and women who will have future divers and students in their care. They deserve the best.

-Bryan

This is one of the reasons I don't teach SAC in PSI/min. It is far better to have a surface cu ft / min number that is applicable to any size tank. Imagine the disaster if a student applied PSI/min for an 80 cu ft AL to another volume size tank.

Have just reviewed the second printing (revision) and the following Section 1 items appear to have been carried over from the first version. I appreciate feedback as know I might be mistaken on any of these:

p 1-5
Text “This expressed in metric units would be: Fresh water = 1 kg/cm2 per 9.77 metres of depth; Salt water = 1 kg/cm2 per 10.07 metres of depth.”
Change to “This expressed in metric units would be: Fresh water = 1 kg/cm2 per 10 metres of depth; Salt water = 1 kg/cm2 per 9.75 metres of depth.”

p 1-16
Text “Should we need to very exact and find freshwater depth, we would use the number “34” for imperial or 0.98 for metric in the above formulas in place of “33” for imperial or 1.00 for metric.”
Change to “Should we need to very exact and find freshwater depth, we would use the number “34” for imperial or “10.3” for metric in the above formulas in place of “33” for imperial or “10” for metric.”

p 1-16
Test “T always refers to absolute temperature. This is expressed in degrees Rankine or degrees” is a bullet point which ends abruptly.
Bring the concluding word of the sentence ("Kelvin") up from its isolated position styled as a section head so it can complete the sentence.

p 1-30
Value “146” in the 2nd example on the page in the next to last line in the “Metric” column.
Change to “147.7”.

p 1-34
Formula following text “Formula for finding current pressure needed” etc.
Change formula to read “Pc = Vc x ( Pw / Vw )”

p 1-35
Formula following text “Formula for Calculating SRV from SAC”.
Change formula to read “SRV = SAC / (Pw / Vw)”

p 1-36
Formula following text “Formula for Calculating SAC if the Diver’s SRV is Known”.
Change formula to read “SAC = SRV x (Pw / Vw)”

This is my short list which I give out to students. It does not include spelling/grammar/other observations.

-Bryan

I just got my Science of Diving book this week. Are the corrections common knowledge to instructors?
Has SSI published an official correction?
I have made the corrections in my text and will forward these corrections to my instructor.

I just finished up the SOD course, and that book is the worst edited text I think I've ever read! I have the "updated" edition, and my classmate had the "older" edition and I'm pretty sure mine is worse. In addition to correcting a few things from the earlier editiion, they seem to have actually added MORE errors when they edited. The most blatant error, aside from the error in the SRV formula, is that the defintion of Henry's law is missing a entire phrase, "to the partial pressure of that gas", which makes a huge difference in the meaning. My classmate and I were asked to keep track of all the errors we found and highlight and make notes in a separate copy of the "revised' edition that will be sent to SSI, and I'm sure that with all the errors they will be hearing from many people. But the question is, will they actually update again and correct them this time??

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but do any scientific diving institutions recognize SSI or are they all AAUS?

Back
Top Bottom