Scientific answer as to why saw tooth diving profiles are bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alaxias

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Posting this on behalf of SpreadingSolar on SCUBA: explore the underwater world, online but I've been wondering about this for some time as well!

I’ve been diving for a few years and have come to understand that at times diving “knowledge” boils down to personal preference. However, in the case of sawtooth profiles (re-descending some amount after ascending some amount during a dive), most divers are of the opinion that diving this way is a very bad practice. I understand that 1) sawtooth profiles cause some folks to have issues with their sinuses, 2) sawtooth profiles are exceedingly difficult to calculate without a dive computer, and that 3) at all times, one should ascend slowly to reduce the likelihood of decompression sickness but aside from these considerations, why do divers conclude that sawtoothing is a dangerous practice? My background in physics makes me believe that descending simply increases nitrogen loading rates and cumulative loading and ascending rate are the key considerations and these don’t change if your profile is a sawtooth. A variant of this convention is waiting 30 mins at the surface between dives – what happens to the body during this 30 mins? Finally, after a recent reef dive, I was told that I wasn’t allowed to do a few free dives (to something like 20 feet) because I was nitrogen loaded and therefore I would be making uncontrolled ascents. This seems counterintuitive to me – I was already off-gassing at 1 ATM and would incur minimal additional nitrogen during my free dives to 20 feet. In any case, I’m interested to hear if anybody has scientific information on why sawtooth profiles are worse than traditional dive profiles. Hopefully this will be educational for other folks as well.

This might help - different application, but same principle:

In ALL people, the bubbles continue to grow in size after the pressure is off. They accumulate like gas into themselves from the surrounding blood or tissues (if there are bubbles in the tissues or injury sites) and they grow bigger. This is why you feel pain later rather than earlier if the bubbles are in joints or tissues - they get bigger before they begin to shrink. This is why what starts out as micro bubbles can get by the lungs and grow and get lodged downstream, and you get neurological symptoms later. Now here is the important part. If you understand everything I have said above, then you know that bouncing to 20 feet or whatever to pick up a bottle and immediately returning to the surface is the like giving yourself a homemade PFO: the bubbles in the venous side compress enough to get past the lungs and then will re-expand on the arterial side and lodge in the worst places, the spine and brain blood supplies. You do not want this.

From Why We Do Not Bounce Dive After Diving in the WKPP | Global Underwater Explorers

Back
Top Bottom