Scoop on panama (the country)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BUDMANOK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
There doesn't seem to be a lot of info on Panama (country) on this board at least that I could find.

Anyone give any and all info on the country, diving, safety and visiting perhaps living there as a retired person

I can't speak for the diving. In terms of retirement info, you can check sites such as International Living, Escape Artist and so forth. There are also some very good Yahoo groups:

viviendo_en_panama
americans_in_panama
panamaexpats
panamaforum

and many others. You'll need to filter through all of the advertisements and so forth. Do your own due diligence!

It's on my list of potential retirement destinations. If you're interested in general information on living there as a retired person, safety, etc., volumes have been written about those topics. There are loads of American retirees. If you're interested in the diving, my only experience was diving the West coast, Coiba Island to be specific. I posted a review on Tripadvisor, not here.

I've been diving in Panama since 2000. My wife and I also have property and plan to live there when we retire.

The short version about diving is there are three areas to dive: Bocas del Toro and Portobelo/Isla Grande on the Caribbean and Coiba on the Pacific. When I started diving Bocas, it was better than Roatan for its variety of coral and marine life. The year-round dive sites are inside the barrier islands and shallow. You'll rarely go below 65 ft. Between September and November, the sea calms and dive ops will go out to the wall -- the same barrier reef that begins off Yucatan and ends at Colombia. The dives are deeper, and you often encounter sharks and larger animals.

Portobelo and Isla Grande are easier to reach than Bocas del Toro. I don't know if there is a dive operator in Isla Grande any more, but there are two in Portobelo. There are only four year-round dive sites in Portobelo. Like Bocas, you can get to the wall when the sea calms and that adds at least seven more sites.

The Caribbean side often has low visibility on the inner protected reefs. 40 feet is considered good. The viz is much better on the deeper sites along the barrier reef.

Both Bocas and Portobelo have been negatively affected by four things; climate change, over fishing, lionfish and tourists. The warmer water has bleached some of the coral, which drives out the reef fish. The increase of tourism -- especially in Bocas -- has put a lot more demand on fishing. Lobster, crab, grouper and snapper populations have really been hit hard. Sustainability does not interest a tourist who wants his lobster dinner -- even it is juvenile, undersized lobsters.

The lionfish hit the Caribbean side very hard beginning in 2010. Before they came, diving was like being in a fish tank. Everywhere you looked there were drums, damsels, trunkfish, porcupinefish, (lots of toadfish in Bocas), nearly everything you find anywhere in the Caribbean. The parrotfish were so plentiful that they created a racket chomping on the coral. You still see all these fish -- just not in any great numbers.

Tourism has also done a number on the coral in Bocas. Coral Cay was one of the best snorkeling spots in the world. All of it was in four feet of very placid water. There were acres covered in a tremendous variety of hard and soft corals and sponges, and with it, lots of the smaller reef fish. But, because it is so shallow, tourists stand on the coral to get in and out of the boat, or they will break off pieces to take home and they are always touching it. The water taxi drivers do nothing to stop the tourists from destroying it. So, today, Coral Cay is barely a glimmer of what it once was.

Coiba is entirely different from Bocas del Toro. Here is a report from my trip there last February: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/central-america/481993-scuba-coiba-trip-review.html?highlight=coiba

Some may also recommend Contadora for diving. I haven't dove there, and my Panamanian friends who are divers say, "It's not worth the trip." There are also a couple of dive ops that offer two oceans, one day and include a Gatún Lake dive. It's just a gimmick. Having seen the crocodiles that inhabit the Canal, including Gatún Lake and the Chagres River, no thanks. They take a couple of fishermen every year. Plus, the viz is barely three feet. And, the Pacific dive is nothing but a pile of rocks.

You asked about safety in Panama. There is less crime here than Honduras, Guatemala, Nicaragua or Costa Rica. Panama also has a better infrastructure, better roads and better medical facilities. There is even a Johns Hopkins hospital in Panama City.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions about Panama.

The diving isn't all that much to write home about. As far as living, yeah, there are plenty of people who settle there. If it were me I'd rather retire in Costa Rica, Nicaragua or Colombia before Panama.

If it were me I'd rather retire in Costa Rica, Nicaragua or Colombia before Panama.

I've run into a number of expats who left Costa Rica and moved to Panama because of the crime, increased cost of living, the tourist invasion and lack of infrastructure. Nicaragua may be cheaper, but it's severely lacking decent roads, electricity, good water, medical fax, a decent legal system and almost every other thing retirees count on. Every time I've gone diving in Bocas I meet expats from Costa Rica who say the diving in Bocas is better.

I regretfully own property in Bocas and have for many years. The diving there is awful. You will be disappointed. The conditions of the roads, and the infrastructure is awful. The locals are destitute for the most part, the ones that are lucky enough to get a job in town work most of the time. Most of them are taken advantage of by the expats, working physical labor sometimes for less than 2 dollars an hour. There is a sense of 3rd world all around you as you walk the streets in Bocastown. I had at one point fantasized about retiring in Bocas as well, until the utter desperation of the area became apparent. Getting anything in or out is impossible. Care packages from home? Good luck. Very expensive routes exist, such as freight forwarding, but it is still a HUGE effort in comparison to many places. Hope you don't like shopping on Amazon! I really cannot think of anything positive to say about my time that I have spent there. Oh - and if you are considering waterfront property there, bear in mind it is ILLEGAL for a non-Panamanian to hold titled property on the water. Everything is ROP (Right of Possession) If you don't know what that means, you should research it before you consider Panama. Oh, and the local government in Bocas is corrupt, the police can all be bought off, and the local ambulance lacks surgical shears or antiseptic in their first aid kit. SO don't get hurt. Getting airlifted out by medevac is expensive.

Fortunately, most of Panama is not like Bocas. It is not a place where I would recommend buying property and retiring. Most expats living in other areas, such as Boquete, Volcán, Coronado, San Carlos, El Valle, Altos del Maria and Panama City do have titled property. Although, in Panama, all the beaches are public property and can't be titled.

"Awful diving?" I guess that is all relative to what you consider "good."

gb_williams, do you know what happened to Hotel Angela after the owner died? Sorry this is a bit offtopic but first time I've run across someone thst *might* know the snswer. TIA

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom