Scooter o-ring replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepSeaDan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
When do you replace your scooter's o-rings? Annually? As needed? As per manufacturers instructions, perhaps?

I replace mine when I start seeing them cracking while stretching them a bit
That's what I was thinking - thanks

Since my BlackTip flooded this week and burned up two of the three Anderson connectors, I’m going to start installing a fresh (relaxed) set of o-rings before every dive. I’ll have three sets of o-rings on hand in my dive tool bag and just keep rotating them. Bit of a pain but a little bit of labor is cheap insurance.

Never replaced orings on my UV-26. Had it for 15 years. They didn't crack so I kept them. I think to much fiddling around with sealing functions introduces human error. Just leave them alone to do their job and clean them if they are dirty. :D

Never replaced orings on my UV-26. Had it for 15 years. They didn't crack so I kept them. I think to much fiddling around with sealing functions introduces human error. Just leave them alone to do their job and clean them if they are dirty. :D
I left my o-rings alone except for cleaning the mating surface and at one year had a flood. That’s changing my calculus of “leave well enough alone”.

I left my o-rings alone except for cleaning the mating surface and at one year had a flood. That’s changing my calculus of “leave well enough alone”.
Curious - do you keep them lubricated? I Clean & lube the nose cap o-ring frequently, the barrel o-ring occasionally, though I'm just coming up to the 1st year anniversary of purchase. I believe the manufacturer recommends annual replacement.

Curious - do you keep them lubricated? I Clean & lube the nose cap o-ring frequently, the barrel o-ring occasionally, though I'm just coming up to the 1st year anniversary of purchase. I believe the manufacturer recommends annual replacement.
Yes, I keep them lubricated and clean. I think I might have suffered from some compression. Also, my nose cone does not sit perfectly flush with the tube. It’s a deformation I know I didn’t cause since I’ve followed the Dive Xtras’ instructions for tension just starting when the buckle is parallel to the ground.

And you‘re correct - Dive Xtras recommends annual maintenance. I just bought several sets of o-rings to get a fresh start and keep swapping them out. I don’t feel like having to replace all my Anderson connectors again (or worse, have to send my motor off to Dive Xtras for a rebuild).

I do not lubricate them. The lubricant attracts dirt and sand and thats how the mating surfaces get scratched. I clean mine from time to time and before installing them I just make them wet (water or saliva). A good epdm oring will last a while even without lubricant. Mine last few years before they go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom