Scooter trimming techniques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone have any recommendations for trimming out a x-scooter(sierra), short of taking it apart to add little bits of weight each time?
The last time I did this with a new scooter, I started at the boat dock.
I guessed about nose and tail weight pouches, tossed them in, put the battery in place and lowered the scooter into the water to check.

3 repetitions and I was close.

Then I dived it like crazy for a day, felt how it behaved when clipped off, and while on deco stops.....and did one final set of tweaks.

Done.

Last steps: Label the weight pouches (nose vs. tail).
Weigh them on an accurate digital scale and record the numbers in case a pouch is lost and you need to recreate it.

Have fun!
If you're even in the ballpark you can still have great dives while you're fine-tuning the weighting!

~~~~~
Claudette

The ones it came with are coloured different for stern/bow, but I'll try with their recomendations and check it out from there.

Thanks!

This is how I do it with gavin scooters, I imagine the same principal applies:

Put a thick rubber band (like you'd use on a stage, probably) or two around the scooter body, and shove the weight(s) in there. That way you can move it around and get it where you like it. After you sort that out, take the tube off and secure it inside the scooter.

With the X's there are only front and rear pouches. Easiest way is to put the scooter together with the recommended lead minus an ounce or so in front and another ounce in back.

Then throw it in the water at a boat dock.

See which end needs lead. Pour some lead in a ziplock baggie with a little bit of water. Squeeze out the air. Duct tape the baggie onto the outside of the scooter, nose, tail or both. Repeat adding or subtracting lead as required. Once you have the mass correct, pour the water out of the baggie. Dry the lead shot and add it to the inside pouches. Label the pouches with a sharpie.

Instead of messing with lead in baggies, go out with a bunch of double-enders and use them (clipped to the nose or somewhere around the tail hardware as necessary) to trim out. Then tally it all up (1 double-ender ~= 0.2 lbs)

Nah that requires some sort of scale. 2 ziplock sandwich baggies, duct tape and no scale :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom