Scorpio Diver's Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Easdem

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I want to start off first by saying that the diving in Cancun must be the most UNDERATED diving in the world. I didn’t know what to expect since you hardly ever hear people talking Cancun up. The visibility was 90+ feet, the variety and amount of life was outstanding. Nice drift dives, warm water, big coral, sea fans galore, eagle rays, barracuda, HUGE porcupine fish, even a baby lobster (could have been a big shrimp). The only disappointment was that I only saw one shark. Really great dives.

I found Scorpio Divers through this board, and I will say that the reviews were right on. I started emailing Jorge a few months ago and was amazed by the speed which with he replied. My travel group had five divers: two Divemasters (me being one of them), one Rescue Diver (with about 60 dives) an AOW with 20 dives and one freshly certified OW diver. Jorge put together a six dive package with a good mix of dives that would accommodate everyone’s skill level and the OW divers depth restrictions but still be challenging enough for the rest of the group: 3 Drift Dives, 1 Wreck Dive and 2 Cenote dives. We got the dive package price quoted (very reasonable) and pick up times arranged through e-mail.

We were picked up right on time in front of our hotel by Alberto (the chauffeur) in a nice, air-conditioned van. He took us to the dive shop where we were greeted by Jorge’s business partner Ben. We completed all the necessary paperwork, paid the marine park dues and then boarded their boat. On board there were 11 people, five of us, Ben and the other DM, a British couple, the Captain and his first mate.

Captain “Duende” and his first mate helped us load the gear, directed the group where to assemble our kits, and got us underway. On the way to the first dive site, Ben asked us our dive history and experience and he then gave a “by the slate” dive briefing, there wasn’t a bit of the dive plan left out. One of the British divers usually had issues equalizing so the other DM and them back rolled in first and started their descent, we rolled in about 30 seconds later and met up with them underwater and had a great dive.

Once we ascended, the captain and first mate took your fins from you as you handed them up. Once on board they helped you out of the BC, placed it on the tank rack, handed you a cold bottle of water, while you sat down and they changed out your tank. The same process was repeated at the end of every dive.

We left our gear at the shop overnight, the next morning when we arrived at the shop, the gear was already on the boat and assembled on a tank.

We went to the Cenotes Wednesday morning. Alberto picked us up that morning with Daniel, the tech/cave instructor, for the 1.5 hour drive to the Chikin Xa Cenote. Daniel gave us a very-very detailed dive briefing, covered all the bases and we had two wonderful dives in the cenotes. As part of the dive package, Scorpio includes lunch at a very good restaurant that serves delicious ceviche tostadas and really cold bottles of deco juice (beer).

The level of service and personal attention with Scorpio Divers is outstanding. They are in the business of exceeding your expectations. They get five out of five stars from me!

I want to start off first by saying that the diving in Cancun must be the most UNDERATED diving in the world. I didn’t know what to expect since you hardly ever hear people talking Cancun up. The visibility was 90+ feet, the variety and amount of life was outstanding. Nice drift dives, warm water, big coral, sea fans galore, eagle rays, barracuda, HUGE porcupine fish, even a baby lobster (could have been a big shrimp). The only disappointment was that I only saw one shark. Really great dives.

I have no comment on Scorpio, since I've never dove with them. But they certainly have a lot of fans here.

I have to agree with your statement above, though. I think Cancun diving is way underrated. I think that because Cozumel is so close people tend to forget the mainland.
In my experience, the critters are virtually the same. But it always seems there are more fish on the Cancun reefs, and always more of the big fish. We regularly see schools of 15-20 barracuda, sharks, turtles, rays. On one dive of the C-58 we saw no less than 6 spotted Eagle rays. We've had both a grey reef shark and a nurse shark in the viewfinder at the same time. The reefs off Cozumel, however, are much more elaborate. There's more (and longer) swim throughs. And there's certainly no lack of critters.

The Cenotes are in a class of their own. I don't think any trip to that area is complete without a couple tanks in the caverns. On our last trip, we found an eyeless cave fish in Tajma Ha. Very cool.

I saw 4 eagle rays in formation at the c-58 wreck this time. It was awesome!

I have to echo your comments about Scorpio Divers and Jorge. His little organization is truly top notch. My wife and I went diving with Scorpio in early October and did what I call the Trifecta – Swim with the Whale Sharks, Reef diving and diving the Cenotes. When in Cabo, we will always dive with Jorge – OK truth be known, we will not actually be diving with Jorge as his BlackBerry is not waterproof…but with one of his very competent diver instructors.

AMAZING DIVE TEAM-SCORPIO DIVERS

We dove 4 days with Scorpio and had an amazing time. Alfred was wonderful-trying to figure out how to go back again. Dove the museum, Cozumel, and 2 Cenotes-the weather didn't cooperate for our 4th day but Jorge and Alfred made arrangements and took us to a different amazing dive. They are by far the best dive company and would recommend them to anyone and everyone. Thank you guys-we'll be back soon!!
Jamie & Scott-Montana

Back
Top Bottom