Scott 2216 aluminum cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My fire department has several Scott 2216 aluminum cylinders that they want to give to the dive team. I called my local dive shop and they advise that these bottles have a different threading to them. They advised that a standard K-valve would not fit the threading.
Anyone know a manufacturer that might make a K-Valve to fit it? All of the cylinders are in great shape and were last hydro'd in 2003.

Any help?

Chris

My fire department has several Scott 2216 aluminum cylinders that they want to give to the dive team. I called my local dive shop and they advise that these bottles have a different threading to them. They advised that a standard K-valve would not fit the threading.
Anyone know a manufacturer that might make a K-Valve to fit it? All of the cylinders are in great shape and were last hydro'd in 2003.

Any help?

Chris
Low pressure SCBA probably use CGA 346 fitting. You can probably find an adapter. I would ask your LDS if they are Global Manufacturing dealer and order it from them. Global does not sell to the public.
Having said that if your tank is fibre wrapped it should not be used for scuba as salt water can cause corrosion under the wrap. Also the tank will be ridiculously bouyant. Also since it only holds about 35 cuft I ask, why bother?

They make cool lamps and very durable marker buoys. Forget the SCUBA idea, the proper tanks are good and affordable.

Gary D.

Actually I think I have a Scott aluminum 2216 tank that has a K-valve 1/2" straight thread scuba valve in it. The valve may be an early Sportsways (I think). No manufacturer that I am aware of currently makes this but some vintage 1/2" k valves can be scored off the internet. There are a still a few 1/2" straight thread floating around. Do not confuse this with a 1/2" tapered pipe thread post valve.

The tank is not suited for scuba as it has lousy bouyancy characteristics but I use it for filling lift bags. I have also seen adapters that allow you to screw on a scuba adapter fitting. More trouble than it is worth but it can be done.

Yea 2216 psi/ 35 cubic feet.. Not worth it... But don't pass them up, they work perfect for underwater air deployments.. All you need is a piece of hose to screw into the existing valve, an air chuck for valve stems, And a couple of Truck tubes you know the big ones... And you got yourself a recovery rig.. Were being extremely buoyant is a plus, air the tubes up and let go next stop the surface :D

The biggest problem is meeting CGA standards by using an adaptor. We has a local shop owner that drill and taps SCBA tanks and puts a K-valve in but that is against fed regs. It violates DOT regs. It is generally best to use only tanks certified for SCUBA for that purpose.
Inspiro has the only fiberwrapped tanks that are certified for scuba use by the DOT. But in the end changing the purpose for a tank that is not certified for that purpose (SCBA to SCUBA) is a violation of DOT regs.

Gary

I kinda figured it'd be the same down there as up here. If its not too much trouble could you reference the DOT regs regarding this for the guys?

BTW - welcome aboard. I see its your 1st post. Hope you have fun on here

Mark

Hi guys. Haz-Mat wonk checking in. :cowboy:

FWIW, the DOT regs only apply to the transportation of cylinders, the Compressed Gas Association (CGA) rules apply to consteruction, maintenance and storage.

See: www(dot)seco.noaa.gov/ENV/Factsheets/compressedGas.html

Doing a search for 1910.101 gets us this:

1910.101(a)

"Inspection of compressed gas cylinders." Each employer shall determine that compressed gas cylinders under his control are in a safe condition to the extent that this can be determined by visual inspection. Visual and other inspections shall be conducted as prescribed in the Hazardous Materials Regulations of the Department of Transportation (49 CFR parts 171-179 and 14 CFR part 103). Where those regulations are not applicable, visual and other inspections shall be conducted in accordance with Compressed Gas Association Pamphlets C-6-1968 and C-8-1962, which is incorporated by reference as specified in Sec. 1910.6.

A cool PDF from Sherwood here: www(dot)chemtech-usa.com/documentation/sherwood/TECHSPEC.pdf

IIRC the use of different threads is to prevent incompatible gases from being combined and creating a hazardous situation. I'm not sure if changing valves/threads is specifically illegal per se... you might not be able to find a dive shop willing to refill a rethreaded SCBA cylinder*, but hey, were the fire service, right? We're the kings of adapt (pun intended) improvise and overcome. :support:

But as an employer, the FD might not want the liability of a "homebrewed" setup when there are commercially available setups for a reasonable expense.

FWIW I'd stick with actual made-for-diving tanks for breathing air, and simply use the existing airpack threads through adaptors as compressed air for lift bags or auxiliary use. After all, in this day of liability, if G-d forbid anything went wrong they'd be in search of who gave the :blessing:.

* A paramedic buddy (also a diver) from Madison WI tried to get some O2 cylinder refilled with medi grade gas at a welding shop. They had no problem filling the steel D's, but refused to fill the Al ones, claiming they "weren't standard cylinders" :confused:

Edit to remove URLs. Yar. :pirate3:

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom