Scott Zeagle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScottZeagleUnlike many people on this forum:
While I believe healthy LDS are the key to todays scuba retail industry, I believe culling of existing shops in some areas might be a good thing. And I believe that todays active divers will continue in the sport even as their LDSs become less and less "L". But the manufacturers may have to again learn to work with clubs rather than businesses.

My area used to be supported by 5 LDS only 6 years ago. Four of them closed up, for various reasons, and 1 new startup leaves us with 2. Five LDSs were just an excessive limitation on each others livelyhood leaving none of them particularly healthy. Two is about right and we would probably get by OK on one.

Last time I counted, Austin,TX had around 15 LDSs. About the same number of Walmats. I don't know if the current economy has culled them much but I believe both the surviving shops and the customers would be better off with a lower number of healthier shop that can compete without artificial constraints with each other, LP, and Larry (no offense intended).

I think I would rather stick with the LDS where it is clear what the motivations are (or should be). Clubs can be pretty quirky when it is personality rather than profit driven. The demise of LDSs will not stop my diving, but it might make it harder for todays kid to have the opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom