Scratch disk settings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBOBuba:
I have a 160 gb swapable E: drive in addition to my C: drive. Adobe suggests using a different drive as the scratch disk to improve speed, to I set Photoshop to the E:. No problems with speed or error messages.

bp: The auto adustments in the new RAW converter on CS2 actually do a passable job on my landlubber shots and usually gets close to where the finished product should be. I can usually nail it with a minor curves adjustment to add some contrast. UW shots are a different matter. There, like you, I will turn off the pesky auto boxes.

---Bob

Try shooting a dark subject you *want* to stay dark and watch how it mangles it. Same thing happens when you shoot a bracketed series, it will brighten the dark ones and darken the bright ones <without asking permission>. I turned it off. I can always check the box if I need it.

Ben

bp_968:
the build cache option will create thumbnails for everything from that folder down. you will still have to export them though (PSCS1 doesn't do it automaticly like CS2 does).
Ben
I'm at work so I cant answer the PSCS2 question, sorry :(

Ben:So I'm still a litle confused on "Exporting to..??" exporting to the Drive that has PS on??
example, I have
- PSCS1 on c:\
- photos store on G:\ :

Building caches = builds cache with the photos in their directories g:\

Exporting cache = build cache over to the home drive that PS is located on like C:\

~~~~~~~~~`

Chris:
Thanx much, don't worry about finding one, as you say there are so many out there. I have spybot and will look into the others too. Appreciate the help..
Congratulations on the photo cover... heheh... like the "...Cover of the Rolling Stones... ".. (song)..

thanx all, now to start planning and rebuilding..

FYI - the cache building brought the thumbnails back in line for quick reference.. but not sure where they are stored...
c:\
or g:\ (in my case)

When you "build caches" it is just creating thumbnails for all the photos in the selected directories. It still stores them in its default cache location.

Here is some info on cache location:
http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps8_browser/fb_2.htm

exporting the cache is mainly important for archiving. When you bring the DVD back from the archive and toss it in, PS doesn't have to create a new set of thumbnails for it if you exported them out and burned them with the photos.

Here are some other good performance enhancing ideas.

http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?t=48336

Ben

fpoole:
Ben:So I'm still a litle confused on "Exporting to..??" exporting to the Drive that has PS on??
example, I have
- PSCS1 on c:\
- photos store on G:\ :

Building caches = builds cache with the photos in their directories g:\

Exporting cache = build cache over to the home drive that PS is located on like C:\

FYI - the cache building brought the thumbnails back in line for quick reference.. but not sure where they are stored...
c:\
or g:\ (in my case)

bp_968:
Try shooting a dark subject you *want* to stay dark and watch how it mangles it. Same thing happens when you shoot a bracketed series, it will brighten the dark ones and darken the bright ones <without asking permission>. I turned it off. I can always check the box if I need it.

Ben

I see what you mean. Most of my landlubber shots are well lit or people portrait type shots. I generally try to get the best exposure out of the gate and dont bracket. The situations you describe are definitely "shut off the auto" situations. In fact, any time you need to see your "as shots", ditch this feature. The way I shoot most of my land shots, it helps so I keep it on.

---Bob
PS: When I first saw this feature I was offended that the computer would mess with my images without asking! If it gets me closer to where I want to be, then I decided I dont mind.

~~~~~~~~~`

Chris:
Thanx much, don't worry about finding one, as you say there are so many out there. I have spybot and will look into the others too. Appreciate the help..
Congratulations on the photo cover... heheh... like the "...Cover of the Rolling Stones... ".. (song)..

No cover just in the issue somewhere. I have not ever submitted to a magazine but the editor personally asked for some therefore I sent a few shots. The image is titled Abstract Anemone and it appears in my Scubaboard gallery somewhere.

CB

Mike Veitch:
Chris Bangs!!! Where did you come from? haven't see you on here in ages
Mike

Hi Mike, You still on Yap? I passed throug there a while ago but only to continue to Palau.

As of now not on Guam, and not diving anymore. maybe in the future. still a starving photographer shooting for food, just not in the water.

CB

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom