Scratching my head!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

getwet2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey there,

I'm trying to decide on which way to go. I've got an old Olympus C5060wz for photos and I got my self a Kodak Zi8 with an Ikelite Pro V8 light for video as a starter, both are in Ikelite housings. I've also got the wide angle W20 Ikelite lens that happens to work with both housings, that was a bonus.

The old Oly still works good for what it is able to do but it's kind of bulky compared to what is out there now. The photos look good but there is room to improve and that means more megapixels and a better sensor.

The Kodak works good too but it's very, very limited. It's either on or off when you are underwater, no zoom, not that it's very smooth anyway and exposure adjustment is sudden. (Like I said it was a starter.)

My questions are:
1) Is there a good system out there that will do both? Either a camera that does video or a video cam that does stills. This would help reduce the amount of stuff I have to carry and also allow me to switch from one to the other instead of choosing which one I'm going to take with me for the day.

2)Should I just stick with a two system setup and improve each one individually.

I was considering the Sony RX100 II or maybe the Canon G1X. I have looked at different sites for info on the video quality but still not too sure. It would be nice to find something that Ikelite makes a housing for that would still allow me to use my W20 lens but that might be hoping for too much.

Looking at the $800 - $1200 range just for the camera and then the housing.

Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom