Scuba a Winter Sport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is this "winter" everyone is talking about?
November to March. In temperate climates, often associated with water temperatures below some 10-15 degrees C.

Lol, I think Max is gently trolling everyone, as SoCal "winters" are very mild and pose little obstacle to diving.

As for me in Monterey/Carmel, I am a wetsuit diver, so when the air temperature gets REALLY COLD - say from mid-January through February - I dont dive. I generally take advantage of winter holidays and the MLK holiday to dive, as its often still bearable.

I dive year-round.

Finally purchased a drysuit recently, so last Winter was my last one in a wetsuit. Water temperature during Winter in the Iberian Atlantic coast is not significantly worse vs. Summer (1 or 2 degrees C lower), but the surface intervals on a wetsuit are just terrible (specially while the boat is moving).

I saw a documentary about it once. In some places, ice crystals form in the air and drop down to the ground. Super creepy.

In Florida, only tech divers and tourists generally dive in the winter. Tech divers have drysuits and tourists consider 70f water to be warm. Most recreational locals take 3 weeks off while winter passes.

Actually, even though I bought a drysuit a few years back I still haven't done a cold water/winter dive. 72f is my limit (spring water). My buddies don't have drysuits, so I'd have to take up solo I guess.

72f is my limit
Upper or lower?

I've never encountered 22C water unless travelling abroad. Usually, it's in the single digits (C).

I don't consider it winter until the water is frozen. then we cut a hole in the ice and dive anyway... i dive wet 9 months out of the year, and only dive dry as others have said in the winter, when the air is frigid.

i dive wet 9 months out of the year, and only dive dry as others have said in the winter, when the air is frigid.
As long as the air is below some 15-17 degrees (C), a drysuit is strongly recommended. The SI becomes so much more comfortable.

If it dies not involve frozen water it is not a real sport.
PICT0045.gif

I like to dive Hawaii in the winter

Our community's local high school cancelled their regular winter sports seasons this year and the building's AD (Athletic Director) wants to try and offer some things to keep the kids active (but in an individual or socially distanced way, of course!)
I would repeat my suggestion to start with a reputable organization and offer surface ice rescue first.

This is a PSD course and the cert that your students would get actually means something in the real world. Great way to tease out those 'special' students who want to see what is under the ice. Call the office to find out where it is being held and ask about adding on as a paying extra. The hosting fire company or police have paid for the class and your (most reasonable) cost helps offset what they paid. Typically, one police/fire company will book and then sell spots to other 'local' agencies. You show up as an unaffiliated paying participant. After the first half-hour, you are all the same. Hanging with the participants after hours is so totally worth the entire price of admission. IJS.

If you have enough students the instructors will travel and the course becomes totally yours. BTW, look closely at 9:38 into the vid. NOBODY (other than instructors) walk on the ice. If a kid fell through then it is unlikely that you can walk out to the entry hole. Notice the square hole, that reinforces going through broken ice.

Full disclosure: I am in no way connected with TeamLGS other than I hold (er, held -mine timed out) several of their certs. The knowledge and training stay with you forever, though.

Back
Top Bottom