Scuba and snorkel sites in Tampa area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaw949

New
Reaction score
I'm going to be visiting the Tampa area with another scuba diver and two non-divers (limited to snorkeling). Can anyone recommend any dive sites that have good snorkeling as well for our companions? We're already planning on a couple of the inland rivers, but would love some variety.

Many thanks!

You can hit up many of the springs that are an hour or 2 away. Just do a google search for florida springs diving and you will get a few good hits.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Florida really lacks any type of short diving. There is a dive site in Bradenton, the Regina, about an hour to the south of Tampa on the Gulf that is a shore dive but it really isn't much.

Here is someones video: Regina Shipwreck Freedive (Best One Yet!!!!) - YouTube
And info on the Regina: Regina Sugar Barge - Bradenton Beach, FL - Dive Sites on Waymarking.com

There really isn't a whole lot there and visibility is very hit or miss. There are usually a ton of sand dollars that you can see all over the bottom. I've heard there is a small reef/ledge some where near the outer side of the markers but I haven't seen it. You can hear the crackle so I'm sure there is something there I just haven't searched for it.

Like keller34 said, the other option is a trip to our springs, like Rainbow River or Ginny Springs. Rainbow River is a great option for both divers and non-divers, it offers tubing trips down the river, kayak rentals and more. You could rent kayaks and paddle up stream and drift dive with the current or you can use a water taxi/dive boat (about $35 per person and you need to arrange in advance) to make a trip up. More info about Rainbow River: K P Hole and the Rainbow River

I have not been to Ginny Springs but have heard it is fun. You can check out the following site for some info: Florida vacation for scuba diving, river tubing,&PADI certification

If you were looking to go out on a dive boat in Tampa you would likely be heading to the Clearwater area and we would give you a list of some of the dive boats but unless you're planning to leave you non-scuba friends at the beach while you do a morning or afternoon dive trip, that won't be of much help.

I would say that Rainbow River may be a good fit for both you and your friends. It is shallow enough to snorkel, the water is crystal clear but you'll all need wet suits as our springs are 72 year round.

Last I went to the Regina vis was horrible. Could have been the storm. You also hit the spanish rocks and third pier there...make sure no storns are near and wind from the east for best vis.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Here is a video about Spanish Rocks: Spanish Rocks Buceo - scuba diving in Florida - YouTube

Some information about the site: Scuba Shore Diving Site Page for: Spanish Rocks Reef of Florida, USA East

The site is off Longboat Key, FL which is a little south of Bradenton if I remember correctly. This map should help: https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&so...Holmes+Beach,+Manatee,+Florida+34217&t=m&z=17

Since homes and/or businesses line the beach we have public access points which are usually tiny streets with parking and a walk way out to be beach. For Spanish Rocks, you want to f
ind the beach access point on Gulf Drive North and 33rd Street. 33rd Street is only 50 to 100 feet long and serves as the parking lot for the local beach access. From there, walk straight out and you'll run into the reef about 100 feet off shore.

I'll bet if you decide on a location and a specific date you might be able to get a local or two to join you and be more of a guide on where to go by creating a thread for the dive site and date if you wanted.

Last edited:
You could also head down to Venice for some shark tooth diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom