Scuba based reality show

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jayfarmlaw

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
this popped up on my Facebook page this morning. I don't know anything about it and am not part of it in any way. Seems like they don't want truly "experienced" divers based on the 40-60 dive criteria.

Master Diver

Jay

Hmm,
I’d like to know what kind if “challenges” they have in mind?
Like if they plan to try some stupid Darwinian circus animal tricks with these divers, or if it will be responsible stuff. Responsible by the book safe diving is actually fairly boring to look at. So how do they plan to inject some drama into this to keep non divers riveted to their sofas?
Hopefully they won’t be doing stuff like deep air and untrained wreck penetrations or some other goofy stunts, and the one that comes back alive and not bent or maimed wins.
Second, what is their definition of “master” diver? Is that the same thing in laymans terms as “expert” diver? Which seems to be the default term used by the media, similar to saying the “oxygen” tank.
I’m sure they’ll have no shortage of narcissists with self esteem issues stampeding to their door.
I don’t know man, anytime I hear “competition” and “diving” in the same sentence it sets off alarm bells to me.
Unless it’s some sort of freediving spearfishing competition, which this doesn’t sound like.

Underwater version of survivor, that's why diving skill is optional. Just my best guess.

Bob

I doubt the challenges will be underwater peril, more likely it will be dive into sewage that is five feet deep and unblock the pipe, something gross, but they will monitor the heck out of the divers at the same time. Maybe it will be build an underwater reef habitat in a giant aquarium that the fish all prefer.
Generally the way you lose these contests is by getting voted off, not killed off.
And all contestants will be insanely gorgeous in a bathing suit.

‘Are you ready to become the world’s 1st ‘MASTER DIVER’? :mad:) I think some guys from the Navy will have something to say about that!

My dive buddy and I were approached by a rep from this show while we were on a dive trip in the Carribbean. Apparently, there are a series of challenges, like finding an object, or maneuvering through an obstacle course while wearing a black out mask, and some other stuff along those lines. From her description, there was nothing particularly dangerous, just physically and mentally challenging. We did not choose to participate in the selection process because of other priorities.

Mark

Similar show was running few years ago. Divers had to do various search patterns and find objects on sea bottom, to do some navigation, to do various rescue diver scenarios. Nothing fancy. No deep diving, wreck penetration or other hazardous things were involved. I am not so sure about this reality show but I suppose scenario should be very similar.

i wonder if they would take a fat out of shape marine..... i do look pretty good in a bathing suit if i do say so myself! haha. Sounds interesting i don't think there would be any type of mass market for the show though.

They could follow me around, filming me while I spend ten minutes trying to get a decent photo of a nudibranch. Thrilling moments in television. Somewhere in a drawer, I have my old PADI Master Diver card. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom