Scuba brand apparel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryan Francis

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everyone,

I have been looking for some neat options for scuba apparel (Long sleeve tees, jackets, coats, pullovers, etc.) and have not found too much. I recently purchased a Scubapro jacket from their website, but I wanted to see if there were any other places to find high quality land gear to wear around the city and around the house.

Every dive shop I have wondered into has logo t-shorts for sale.

Every LOB I have been on has more logo'd crap for sale (including bath robes).

My divebuddy buys some stuff, it falls apart very quickly.

Agreed Winfield.

If you look at any scuba manufacturer's website for apparel, it's pretty lame. Look at any scuba or dive supply site and it's full of corny t-shirts. Dive shops are packed with tacky apparel too. Maybe divers for the most part aren't stylish I'm guessing? Maybe too many "Wolfpack" type shirt-wearing divers? (Reference to "The Hangover").

By the way, I loved visiting Cary during my time at Ft. Bragg. Nice town. Hope you guys don't get trashed by this storm coming your way.

Stay safe

I remember in my early teen years my older brother had returned from a trip to Florida with a buddy, and he brought all of us a souvenir home with him.

He got me a shirt that said "No muff's too tough, we dive at five".

I can't tell you how many years had passed before I realized it was more than just a dive shirt! :rofl3:

The funniest part is that my brother didn't know what it meant either, he just knew I'd like the logo on the shirt.

As for buying dive branded stuff.........we all do it for ATV'ing, snowmobiling, shooting, whatever you're into, so why not scuba?

Besides, how many of you wear your dive computer as a daily watch? Same thing if you ask me.

Over the years I have been honored with being the author of 4 dedicated diving columns in international, national and regional magazines.
After I retired over 25 years go I began writing the first news paper column devoted to skin & SCUBA diving in the US.
\
One area I explored and authored an article on was the history of logos on shirts.

It all began with Hang Ten - Recall the little feet on the shoulder? All too soon other followed - Polo etc

Almost immediately computerized silk screening appeared and the race was on- every company, every event and every dive club offered "personalized" shirts with a logo - some times just a simple one over the front pocket others large mufti colored logo covered the entire back of the shirt.

Dive manufactures dive clubs were not far behind and many are still marketing T shirts and sweat shirts. You just a beginner late modern tube sucker - visit some of the local dive clubs or better yet next June 2019 attend the SCUBA SHOW in Long Beach California. The variety of divers large & small old & young wearing dive related logo T shirts is astounding -- while you are there purchase a commemorative SCUBA Show T shirt.

Sam Miller, 111

PS
Thank you for your service- Airborne ?
Captain USAF Korean war

Agreed Winfield.

If you look at any scuba manufacturer's website for apparel, it's pretty lame. Look at any scuba or dive supply site and it's full of corny t-shirts. Dive shops are packed with tacky apparel too. Maybe divers for the most part aren't stylish I'm guessing? Maybe too many "Wolfpack" type shirt-wearing divers? (Reference to "The Hangover").

By the way, I loved visiting Cary during my time at Ft. Bragg. Nice town. Hope you guys don't get trashed by this storm coming your way.

Stay safe
Thanks for the kind words. It looks like this storm is going to be a 2 and not a 4. Hopefully it doesn't damage our coast too much. I have a house at Topsail Island that has been there since the 50s. We have had good luck through the years, hopefully that continues. We will also have to see how this affects our local dive operators.

Back
Top Bottom