Scuba brand apparel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are welcome Winfield! I try to keep the words kind while typing on the Internet. I like non-confrontational/ non-judgmental words. Even if I'm reading B.S.

Never been to Topsail Island. I am assuming it's a barrier island. I used to live on one in Florida just south of the Cape and never had an issue with hurricanes as long as there was NO sand erosion. Seems that's what did most of the damage, storm surge eroding foundations which led to structure collapse. Roof damage and water leaks destroyed sheet rock and created a mold issue so we made sure to board up pretty tight to keep glass intact and the rain out. If we did get roof leaks we would fire up the generator and get fans in the attic and rooms with leaks. I rode out 3 big hurricanes in 10 years with no issues. Good luck to you man. Let me know if things turn out OK.

I Googled this year's SCUBA Show t-shirt. Pictures are worth a thousand words....... Scuba-Show-Navy-SS-Tee-620x665.jpg

Ryan Francis, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to wear that around town.....

I really like the Pelagic gear and Birdwell Beach Britches. I wear the Surfstretch stuff under my wetsuits, dries before I get in my truck after a dive and you can get almost any color you could want. Comfy for around town too. I know you're after dive manufacturer labeled stuff, but I just haven't seen anything that looks cool.

Hope that helps!

@HBVetera n2312

Hombre
Please do no use tiles- We are all nothing more than a bunch of lousy divers - nothing more- some even less. I do not want or need a title in the diving world, especially on this board as some do and even requires its usage, I do not need further ego nourishment . Lets be friends with out any barriers. It is Sam or Sam III

I must agree on the SCUBA SHOW Shirt - not exactly exciting as in the past. The show is in it 30th plus year and I would assume they are running out of original designs.

Over the years there have been numerous T shirts devoted to the diving world, many dive shops and dive resorts offer proprietary shirts as well as mainstem shirts- you apparently need to travel around the now many OC shops and travel to distant dive resorts . All to soon you will have a drawer full ---then all too soon a closet full of shirts.

My wife, and I assume all women are intested in clothes and insuring their husbands look both neat and official. So she always, or so it seems purchases a T shirt for her self as well as me, So every time we travel internationally for diving we drag along dive T shirts and acquire a few more to bring home

Over the years I have narrowed my favorite shirts down to three of my favorites
A great white shark shirt - great printing and ever thing you need to know about a GWS
A SCUBA shirt - appears as if you are wearing a complete diving costume
LB Neptune's Blue water spearfishing meet of 1979- a 39 year old shirt - earned not purchased

Your depiction of the dive flag defies comprehension. The colors are correct-it has a red background with a white diagonal stripe. The original proportions as established and agreed on in 1960 was 4 units high X 5 units wide X 1 unit stripe, which for ease of manufactures was changed to square. A lot of pioneer divers worked long and hard to create the flag and to have it accepted into the mainstream. It would be appreciated if you would conform to the accepted standards established so many years ago.

I was the 3 or 4th dive instructor so many years ago in then bucolic Orange County California (OC). Therefore I have an expressed and implied interest in those such as you who are just entering the sport. There has been monumental changes in OC and certainly OC diving and divers has also changed - This maybe appropriate - it is an article from this quarters NAUI Sources magazine about me & son Sam IV- both former OC divers
Go here on the SCUBA Board
"SPG

History of Scuba Diving: Tales from the Abyss

Pioneers, agencies, gear and more: where did they all come from? What can we learn from their history
Avenue of the Divers: Scuba Legends & Pioneers"

I am forwarding a document of a long time ago when the modern vintage equipment was a dream in the future;
A time when there was no name, no organized diving, no magazines, few books, no training agencies, and no SCUBA board....... we were just " a bunch of lousy divers

"YOU CAN’T GO HOME AGAIN…”
By Dr. Samuel Miller,111

This summer I visited with some relatives and old friends to reconnect with my roots down in southern California, in “smogsville,” as the smog shrouded area of Los Angeles and Orange County is known by most Californians who reside in other areas of the state.

This visit certainly verified the message in the Thomas Wolfe book “You can't go home again” which I found so difficult to comprehend as a young college student. Yes, Thomas Wolfe was correct! "You can’t go home again."

I spent a very early Saturday morning at Diver's Cove in Laguna Beach, the fountainhead of American sport diving. It has been a popular diving location since recreational diving began along the California coast in the early 1930s. “The cove” as local divers refer to it, was catapulted from obscurity into international diving fame when it was chosen as the location for the world's first competitive spear fishing meet in June 1950. The Compton, California “Dolphins Spear Fishing club”, won the meet with a three man team consisting of Ken Kummerfeild, Paul Hoss and Pat O'Malley.

Lots of changes have occurred in and around Divers Cove with the passage of these 60 plus years.

In the early 1950s the rolling hills surrounding Diver's Cove were devoid of housing and covered with dry chaparral, which emitted the classic California golden glow always associated with the “Golden state.” Now when viewed from the cove the hills appear almost surrealistic emerald green, blanketed by modern multi- million dollar homes on well-manicured lawns interconnected labyrinth of roads.

It is no longer possible to drive up to the edge of the cliff at Divers Cove and park haphazardly. Parking places are now regulated. They are neatly identified with white stripes on the concrete and crowned with a row of coin eating parking meters; silent sentinels waiting for the next quarter for fifteen minutes of violation free parking.

Also absent is the steel cable that provided beach goers and divers to access to the beach. It was a much-appreciated gift from some unknown beach lover who spent their time; money and effort to securely bury one end of the cable in cement and dangle the rest of the cable over the cliff to create a Tarzan style hand over hand beach access. Now modern stairs complete with handrails and a drinking fountain welcomes the divers to the beach

The beach scene I remember so well from my youth is now only a distant memory, but they are memories of gold as were the hills surrounding the cove.

In the genesis of recreational diving the beach was populated with young athletic sun tanned male youths clad in the diving costume of the era, baggy long underwear, tucked in to equally baggy swim trunks,* round often home made diving masks on their faces,** short green fins on their feet ***and the weapon of choice three or five prong 3 “Jab Stick”**** unceremoniously stuck in the ground.

Like ancient tribes returning from a successful hunt they stood in small groups, wrapped in surplus WWII olive drab army or navy blue blankets, shivering and blue lipped from the cold of the water and the chill in the air. Roaring bonfires fed by WWII surplus tires added much needed warmth as it belched fourth thick heavy black smoke into the clean crisp smog free Orange County air. *****

Divers Cove has now become a popular diving destination for dive training classes. It is populated every Saturday and Sunday morning by young certified diving instructors who have arrived before 7:00 to conduct an ocean check out dive for their classes of aspiring divers. Under the ever-watchful eye of their SCUBA instructor, young and old, male and female don the costume of modern diving. Bright colored wet suits have replaced the long underwear for thermal protection; clear form fitting twin lens masks of clear silicone replaced the black round rubber masks; multi hued long lightweight split plastic fins now adorn their feet replacing the short green Churchill fins. Not a spearfishing weapon is insight, since this area has been a game reserve for over a generation.

Yes, there have been a lot of changes in the last sixty plus years. Tomas Wolfe’s message has been verified. "You can't go home again," but you can relive fond memories from the distant past and dream and hope for the future of recreational diving.

Only the sea, the eternal sea, has relentlessly remained the same...SDM 111

Copyright 2018, Dr.Samuel Miller,111, Dr.Samuel Miller,IV & Lee/CCnews/TPR; maynot be used with out permission of author and Lee/CCnews)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(*Long underwear and/or heavy GI surplus OD sweater was the consume of diving ..
See Skin Diver Magazine anniversary edition,2001, the John Steele Painting of me as a 20 year old right after WW11 --- in the winter weather long underwear and a GI sweater was used or if exceptionally warm water such as in Mexico old pajamas were used - not for warmth but to protect from sun burn)-The painting has a place of prominence in our living room for many years

(** see my article "The Mask" made by the late great Charlie Sturgil burr )

(*** Churchills by Voit were green or greenish- WW11 surplus Churchills were black, Sea Net produced the fin of that era the "Frog feet ," (Art Brown's Duck feet did not appear until mid 1950s) snorkels if used were home made.

(****Jab stick - The original name for a pole spear by my tribe. Power supplied by thrust of arm, later a plumbing elastic was discovered by Bill Barada and attached

(***** Huge bonfires to warm up participants & avoid hypothermia- wraped in a blanket or heavey GI surllus WW 11 overcoat
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It was a time when all we desired was to be warm during and after a dive -- when you are wet and cold there is no requirement to make a fashion statement! You and your generation are warm and dry so make fashion statement as a living walking bill board for recreational diving.
Cheers from CenCal

Sam Miller, III

@Ryan Francis
@WinfieldNC (hope all is well and high and dry!)
@giffenk ( won' t be long - It will be COLD snow will cover big T)
DD

Hello everyone,

I have been looking for some neat options for scuba apparel (Long sleeve tees, jackets, coats, pullovers, etc.) and have not found too much. I recently purchased a Scubapro jacket from their website, but I wanted to see if there were any other places to find high quality land gear to wear around the city and around the house.
Diver's Direct has a large selection in their Key Largo store. You could try their website. Scuba Diving Gear, Fins, Tanks, Masks & more | Divers Direct - Divers Direct

Sam,

MY depiction of the "dive flag" defies comprehension? Really? Have you noticed the ScubaBoard logo at the top of this page? Need I cut and paste examples all over this site that might also defy your comprehension? I'm not sure how you will appreciate MY conformity, so, I decline, but thanks anyway........

As for the rest of your reply to me, I understand English, as it is my primary language, but I don't get what you're saying.

Have The Greatest Day Ever

Going diving this weekend to work on that "Legendary" number of 5000+ dives...... hahahahahaha Cheers!

When they were making the movie, Sanctum, about a group of cave divers cut off from their exit, it was decided that the character of George, played by actor Daniel Wyllie, had to have a cool T-shirt. The filmmakers decided that he just *had* to have a Ramones T-shirt like one of the crew was wearing at the time. I suppose if you wore one it would be ultra cool because cave divers might find it amusing while everyone else would just think you are cool.

4399_4.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom