Scuba Brand = Which Car Brand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lurking

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I’d like to create an engaging discussion where divers of all levels can chime in :lurk:

I’m wondering what are people’s perceptions of some SCUBA gear brands relative to something we may relate to, in this case car brands.

It’d be interesting to hear others’ opinions and possibly discover a “new-favorite” brand.

Keep in mind this is more about perception. I’m a believer that merely donning higher quality gear won’t necessarily make you a better diver, just as hopping out of a Fiat and into a Ferrari won’t make you a better driver. Though each may have its strengths, no one is saying that BMW is absolutely “better” than Mercedes (many will say that anyway :p). I also note that this could vary across equipment (X could make great BCDs but terrible fins) and auto classes (Mercedes are more known for pricier sports cars over their vans).

Which brands are/have...

- the widest entry-levels (Honda?)
- the best value for money (Kia?)
- the best-sellers (Ford?)
- the “will last forever” (Toyota?)
- the most customizable (Jeep?)
- the most rugged (Land Rover?)
- the most compact (Smart?)
- the most in mind for women (VW Beetle?)
- the best customer service (Mini?)
- the most generous warranties (Jaguar?)
- the highest overall “performance” (Ferrari?)
- the flashiest (Lamborghini?)
- the most luxurious (Rolls-Royce?)
- the forgotten-but-still-running (Datsun?)
- the most innovative (Tesla?)
- the most expensive servicing (Bugatti?)
- the “not-for-everyone” (Lotus?)
- the “aficionados-only” (McLaren?)
- ...the Porsche (simply the best :p)

Other categories? My own perceptions are above. Feel free to chime in, agree/disagree, add, subtract - go nuts. I just mean to spur discussion and not to promote or bash any specific brands (scuba or auto, except for Porsche, of course, see above :D).

I hope we don’t (or do?) get too carried away... :yeahbaby:

And are there any diving brands that reflect this, in your opinion?

Toyota tax: Pay extra because the old models were great even though todays models are the same as everyone else's. And they are a bit boring.

Apollo AV1 Scooter = Caterpillar Bulldozer

scooter.jpg

Fenzy (ABLJ) - Model T Ford
Kent Tooling Reel - Sherman Tank

Toyota tax: Pay extra because the old models were great even though todays models are the same as everyone else's. And they are a bit boring.
Dude, back in the late 70’s _nobody_ could build a four cylinder like Toyota. A great friend finally pitched her Toyota station wagon because she didn’t want to go to the junk yard to find a second replacement front seat. It looked like hell and I forget now how many miles. She finally just gave up for a new car because the Toyota was basically decaying around the power train.

Our regs/gear:
Aqua-Lungs are the VWs
Deep 6 (DGX version) is a John Deere but with the closed cab A/C
Conshelfs - The late 70’s model Toyotas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom