Scuba diver dies after being found floating at Kurnell, NSW, Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nah, Bob. You'll do fine, but it will open your eyes. :wink:

It is also a good drill for all those supermen dive buddies that think that they will just sprint over to a panicking diver and take command of the situation. For them, I suggest air sharing.:rofl3:

An interesting drill, and I may give it a try sometime. However, if it takes a diver 1 minute in a flat out sprint to reach their buddy, they should have been a closer in the first place. Even in good visibility with no current, I am only 2 or 3 good frog kicks away.

To me one of the benefits of this drill, is to the importance of aerobic fitness and interval training--on the bike, for diving....and occasional fitness bursts when swimming with fins....and then of course, this gets to the diver's effectiveness at propulsion in the water, and fin choice as well as kick shape and skill.

A diver used to training with 2 minute anaerobic intervals, would come in fast, and should have no problems with this drill....and should recover rapidly.

I am completely onboard with the notion that every diver should be capable of emergency speed and efforts....and all should be physically trained for this--and any DM, or instructor MUST be good at this, or it is grossly negligent on their part..

To me one of the benefits of this drill, is to the importance of aerobic fitness and interval training--on the bike, for diving....and occasional fitness bursts when swimming with fins....and then of course, this gets to the diver's effectiveness at propulsion in the water, and fin choice as well as kick shape and skill.

A diver used to training with 2 minute anaerobic intervals, would come in fast, and should have no problems with this drill....and should recover rapidly.

I am completely onboard with the notion that every diver should be capable of emergency speed and efforts....and all should be physically trained for this--and any DM, or instructor MUST be good at this, or it is grossly negligent on their part..

good point, I should revise my previous post. Training to maintain a full sprint for 1 minute, should make the 10 seconds it takes to reach your buddy fairly effortless.

Subscribed...she was my AOW instructor on a weeklong liveaboard (the lovely ScubaCat) this spring. I am truly sad and anxious to find out what happened. She was an incredible teacher, and she would kick all of our butts if we did not use this as a learning experience. She was an educator, after all (in two out of her 3 professions).

Thank you everyone for your insights and detailed discussions.

Don't be too anxious about finding out what really happened, this information never (rarely) comes out.

...//... A diver used to training with 2 minute anaerobic intervals, would come in fast, and should have no problems with this drill....and should recover rapidly. ...//...

That was the 'eye opener'. All my exercise is aerobic, found myself sadly lacking in this department: Anaerobic exercise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That was the 'eye opener'. All my exercise is aerobic, found myself sadly lacking in this department: Anaerobic exercise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This kind of training on a bike, is hard, but also kind of fun.....You warm up aerobically for 20 or 30 minutes, and then pick a stretch of road you will go at maximum pace for 2 minutes, then slow to maybe 17 mph ( resting pace but not stopped--your body should have to recover with some aerobics still going on) or so to rest/recover for 4 minutes, then another interval, followed by the 4 minute easy...for 4 to 7 intervals.( week one at 4, week 4 at 7 intervals)...

This builds new capilaries in the muscle beds of the primary muscles used for cycling AND for diving....it also teaches the body to convert the lactic acid into pyruvate, which it can then "burn" as a sugar ( think of this as the "second wind" you have heard about )....
Interval training is actually the best way to make your aerobic power greater, not just the power for 2 minute sprints..... A time trialist that wants to "break the hour" in a 40 km time trial--pretty much averaging over 25 mph all by themself for an hour....will train with 2 minute intervals for several months, to accomplish this...the ones that do well, can get close to 28 or even 30 mph for an hour( 30 being about the best possible ).
Speaking of sprints...Real sprints are not using the anaerobic power...they are 10 to 15 seconds in duration, and the body uses pure ATP for this 100% effort ( the interval is not at 100%, but paced as the most you can do for 2 minutes to end up with complete muscle failure at 2 minutes out).....So if a diver actually needed to train for a 10 second effort, at 100% of the speed they could reach, this would be using the ATP system..however, with drag the way it is in water, 100% with fins is not that much faster than 90% effort( which would be at the aerobic/anaerobic threshold)--or even not that much faster than a pure anaerobic effort a "trained version of you" could sustain for a minute....so there is some issue as to whether the dive emergency should be considered as to require Anaerobic speed, or ATP speed.....With either, the interval training will get you to recover much faster, but anaerobic training will not do much to improve your recycling or ATP, or of the absolute strength gains possible with ATP training....
Technically, a bike racer must train the ATP system one day each week, the anaerobic system one day, then the aerobic system for the LSD ride( long steady distance day), then usually an easy spin day, an aerobic day( not hard at all), then a race simulation day, where all energy systems get used....

Most divers ( or even cyclists) will not have the time or interest to train at this level, but when you understand what is really going on to get maximum performance from each energy system, you can take what you want and use it for diving better. :)

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Please keep posts on the subject of the original incident. If you wish to discuss training systems and concepts, please start a new thread in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom