Scuba diver dies off Sydney's northern beaches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sydney-diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Oh dear!

A scuba diver has died after getting into difficulty off Sydney's northern beaches, police say.
The male diver was pulled unconscious from the water about 10km off Palm Beach at 8.30am on Saturday and put on board a Broken Bay Water Police vessel.

A doctor and paramedic were lowered from a rescue helicopter onto the police boat, however police said the man could not be revived and was pronounced dead at the scene.
He was yet to be formally identified.

Police were due to speak to those onboard the dive boat when it returned to shore and the man's diving gear would be seized for scientific examination.
Investigations into the death were continuing and a report would be prepared for the coroner.
A second diver who went to the assistance of the man was airlifted to Sydney's Prince of Wales Hospital in a stable condition.
AAP

Scuba diver dies off Sydney's northern beaches

Condolences to his family. I also hope the other guy is OK and didn't get hurt trying to affect a rescue.

Apparently this was a 60m tech dive (there's a number of wrecks in the area and not a lot else). The deceased got into trouble (possibly medical as it as mentioned by the attending paramedic that he was treated for cardiac arrest) and his buddy skipped stops to bring him to the surface and is now being treated for DCS which is a pretty horrible situation to be in! Condolences to all involved.

7PM ABC news had a story on it and interviewed the paramedics. Apparently he suffered a cardiac arrest while doing a tech dive and was also using mixed gases.

I believe cardiac arrest means his heart stopped. That doesn't tell us what precipitated it.

I don't think I would rely overmuch on the word of the media. The only people who will really know are the ones who know the person well and or dived with him. They are often disinclined to share much detail for a number of good reasons. We will see how much information will come out. It is very early in the piece yet. I trust everyone will be respectful enough not to release the name until it is released officially..

I don't think I would rely overmuch on the word of the media. The only people who will really know are the ones who know the person well and or dived with him. They are often disinclined to share much detail for a number of good reasons. We will see how much information will come out. It is very early in the piece yet. I trust everyone will be respectful enough not to release the name until it is released officially..

The divers name had been posted on other forums already, so I assume it won't be too long before it's well known. While I didn't know the diver, looking at his credentials, I can only assume that his death is going to cause a lot of shock in the Australian tech diving community. Considering a rebreather was involved, I hope the police call in some true experts for the incident analysis.

yes there is a fair bit of info out there but those who have spoken to me are not ready to be "quoted" so I will not breach that. There is a time for everything..

Did anyone attend Paul Raymaekers talk at Oz Tek? I talked to him before hand and he said he would talk about this accident in detail.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom