Scuba Divers that Own Aquariums

I am:

• Not a Diver but have an Aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JimBisesi

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been a certified diver for the past 25 years and have maintained a saltwater aquarium for about 20.

Are you a certified diver with a Saltwater Aquarium?

Are there any websites that combine both diving and aquariums/fish?

Sometimes when I dive, I feel like the little diver in the Aquarium!!!

My answer was technically incorrect. I am a diver and I have 3 aquariums that are all empty. Upkeep and maintenance was difficuly because of the location of windows and walls. The only decent location in the house was family room that was too open (algae) and the basement - where it wasn't enjoyed and did not lend itself to routine maint.

Maybe when the kids leave I can convert a bedroom :)

Mike

I have a 90 gallon reef tank with mostly soft corals and fish.
It's addictive and expensive but I watch it more than my TV.
My corals are starting to have babies!!!

I also have a 100 gallon pond with koi in my dining room.
It's just temporary, but I raised most of the koi from eggs
and they are going to be hard to part with. I hand feed
and they are all over me like puppies at feeding time.

terri, both sound really cool!

op, there is an aquarium forum on ncdivers dot com. i don't know how much action it gets since i don't keep one & ignore that section, but you can give it a glance.

I also started diving 25 years ago, got a slow start and right away I wanted to get an aquarium. Then I really started diving and spending lots of time underwater with all those fish. At about 100 dives, 23 years ago, I lost the desire to pen them up. I spend lots of time watching fish in the ocean and haven't had a desire for an aquarium. Maybe you need to dive more?

Been keeping aquariums for a lifetime, and diving for 24 years. I also keep local species tanks with specimens I collect myself. Lets me merge both hobbies together :) There's also a dive forum on the aquarium forum reefcentral.com

Great replies everyone and Walter...I definitely need to dive more..:wink: I really like to watch my fish while I work. I have a 75 gallon reef tank with some clown fish and horse shoe crabs moving around the sand. I'm going to add some more fish after the holidays. It's relaxing to me and reminds me of vacation. I've been thinking about building a website with a live video stream so I can watch when I'm away. Would anyone be interested in tuning in to something like that?

Jim

Need more options. I said I dive with no aquarium.
I had a very nice mini reef mostly stocked by catching but I live next to a very large aquarium and it was more fun and less hassle to dive in it. So just gave it away to a friend for her budding marine biologist son for Christmas.
Now, I do have a basically self maintained fresh water fish pond, I do on occasion feed them. Water supply is from a leaky gutter joint on the lanai. Sometimes have to remove water when it is really doing the tropical rain storm thing.
Roomie has a pond maintenance business and has one gazillion gal tank/pond and a bunch of smaller breeder fish and aquatic plant ponds.
Oh, actually, I do have an aquarium. A 10 gal freshwater tank on my desk at work :dork2:.

Tuning in? Way back when Cable TV was brand new there was The Fish Channel. Thought it was the stupidest thing. Then flipping thru channels and nothing better, sort of stuck there and was hooked in about 5 minutes. I would certainly check out a fish cam. I have looked at some of the ones I know of but it is in the evening and the lights are always out. J

Back
Top Bottom