Scuba Divers that Own Aquariums

I am:

• Not a Diver but have an Aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had an aquarium before diving. Moved the thing a few times and decided it was too much effort. I also felt some guilt concerning how the little critters were harvested even though I dealt with a close group who bread their own stock and traded, they still had to come from somewhere originally.

terri, both sound really cool!

op, there is an aquarium forum on ncdivers dot com. i don't know how much action it gets since i don't keep one & ignore that section, but you can give it a glance.

Thanks Marci,
Maybe next time you're in town, you guys could stop by.

Most of the fish and corals that I keep were not taken from the wild, so I don't feel
too guilty about where things come from. I've had some fish for more
than 10 years, so sometimes if marine life is kept in a good environment
it can live longer in captivity than it would in the wild. I have collected
a few inverts from N.C, and I "rescued" a wayward butterfly fish off
the coast of Delaware a few years back. We get quite a few tropicals
off of our coast around October and they will die once the temp drops
to about 50 or so degrees.

I had an aquarium as a kid but didn"t own one as an adult until I got married 4 years ago. I love having one should've gotten one earlier.

I have two aquariums in my living room. Both are fairly small, 110 litres (29 US gallons). I'd love to have a really big one but I don't have anywhere to put it.

R..

I have a few aquariums. Right now I have a 220g, 125g, 90g, 75g, 35g, 2 25g, and a 10g. I use most of them for breeding Oscars, and a few of them are for breeding Platies, Mollies, and guppies, most of which are used as food for the Oscars.

I have a few aquariums. Right now I have a 220g, 125g, 90g, 75g, 35g, 2 25g, and a 10g. I use most of them for breeding Oscars, and a few of them are for breeding Platies, Mollies, and guppies, most of which are used as food for the Oscars.

That sounds like a lot of work!

That sounds like a lot of work!

It's really not too much work if the tanks are setup with the right equipment. I pick one day a month to to most of the maintenance and water changes. I also have an RODI purifier that has outputs going through the walls to each tank so when I go to topoff tanks all I have to do is open the valve to that tank and let it fill, no need to hall buckets of water all over the house.

It's amazing what we can come up with to avoid hauling buckets.
I have a pump system with a long hose to reach the sink.
Much easier on the back. :)

I got a 5 gallon fresh water aquarium on my 8th birthday to put in my room. You really have to be careful where you put the fish when you clean it and how you clean it. A couple month after getting the aquarium my mom cleaned the tank and shortly thereafter, they all died =-(. I had to give them a proper burial by flushing them down the toilet.

I don't currently own an aquarium since I don't have any where to put it. I might consider getting a small one to put in my cube at work since a couple of my coworkers have aquariums. They are actually non divers.

Back
Top Bottom