Scuba Divers that Own Aquariums

I am:

• Not a Diver but have an Aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As much as I'd love to keep a saltwater aquarium, I don't have the resources (time, money, space) at this point in my life to maintain one. Instead I lurk over on RC and enjoy following the tank journal threads. Some of them are real works of art. For now I keep 2 freshwater tanks - a 29 gal community and 90 gal for my oscar.

I have a few aquariums. Right now I have a 220g, 125g, 90g, 75g, 35g, 2 25g, and a 10g. I use most of them for breeding Oscars, and a few of them are for breeding Platies, Mollies, and guppies, most of which are used as food for the Oscars.
sup oscar keeping buddy. Mine's a 7.5 year old albino oscar (I'm pretty sure halfbred fantail) kept in a 90 gallon aquarium. I adore her.

I also have a 29 gallon community tank that I'm setting up: 6 zebra danios, 6 marble cory cats, 2 pearl gourami's, and 9 tiger barbs.

That sounds like a lot of work!
..says the aquarist with a 90 gallon reef tank... :D

sup oscar keeping buddy. Mine's a 7.5 year old albino oscar (I'm pretty sure halfbred fantail) kept in a 90 gallon aquarium. I adore her.

I also have a 29 gallon community tank that I'm setting up: 6 zebra danios, 6 marble cory cats, 2 pearl gourami's, and 9 tiger barbs.

I've had my oscars for a long time now. Most of them I got as rescues. My local pet shop will take in fish people cant take care of any more, and a lot of them tend to be oscars. People don't realize how big they can get, so I stop by his shop from time to time and see if he has any. Normally He will sell them to me for about $10 because by the time he gets them they are in pretty bad shape, But I nurse most of them back to good health. That's how I got most of my breeding pairs.

I've had my oscars for a long time now. Most of them I got as rescues. My local pet shop will take in fish people cant take care of any more, and a lot of them tend to be oscars. People don't realize how big they can get, so I stop by his shop from time to time and see if he has any. Normally He will sell them to me for about $10 because by the time he gets them they are in pretty bad shape, But I nurse most of them back to good health. That's how I got most of my breeding pairs.
That's good of you. Sometimes I wish I could get my oscar a breeding mate cause she produces eggs on a fairly regular basis but that means getting a bigger tank. That's nice of your LFS but I'm guessing they win out if you produce fry and they ever run low on juvenile oscar stock. :)

I dive and have a 20gal mixed reef and buying equipment for my 200gal in-wall that will also be a mixed reef.

The couple of times I have tried to have an aquarium they ended up with dead fish and brown water. I have much better luck with the big natural ones.

I had a large reef aquarium a few months back that housed a nice collection of acros as well as some other SPS and LPS. I broke it down and sold it off. The money went toward putting a bar in its place and a new motorcycle to replace my old one with quite a bit when the dust settled. High end reef tanks makes diving look very affordable.

I have snorkeled for years but selling the tank is what got me interested in diving actually.

HPIM4186.JPG

HPIM4182.JPG

I love zoanthids

IMG_3344.JPG

Back
Top Bottom