Scuba diving and smoking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Melissa: Congratulations on staying smoke-free. It's a great sign that you can be around smoke and not crave it. Good on you!

I quit too, about 10 months ago now. It was really tough, and I found out later that most of my friends expected me to fail. That P**sed me off royally! But I guess it says something about just how bad my addiction was. Yes I used Champix, but didn't take the full course as the side effects started outweighing the benefits.

I noticed no difference at first, but winter is now gone, back in the water and yes my SAC is better. I don't think it's directly attributable to stopping smoking - but indirectly yes. I know how easy it is to gain weight when you quit, so I made a concerted effort to make my diet healthier, doubled the distance of my daily walks and cut down on my rum intake. So it's an overall change in lifestyle which has had the added benefit of improving my dive fitness too.

Maples

PS I'm only now getting my sense of smell back. I really thought it was never going to happen.

Yeah, I know I'm posting to an old thread, but I feel that it is an important one. I smoked for 8 years and recently (4 months smoke free)quit.When you quit, your entire life gets better. Diving is better, walking/running is better, not to mention, I'm a single guy and the girls like me better. Quiting smoking is hard, but it's worth it. Yes I'm a new diver, but I plan to go far (i.e. cave diving is where I want to be), but not smoking will make your diving better. Also, if you plan to get into tech-diving, smoking will mess-up your deco. I personally havent done deco-diving, but I'm a nerd and have read everything concerning tech/deco-diving, annd I assure you that smoking will mess up your deco.

Back
Top Bottom