Scuba diving has made me a wimp re any water related movies!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why you wearing chains? Lol....very neat!

Cristina is in the shark suit because she was feeding them and handling them. Reaching into the container means the feeder's hand, arm, and body becomes exposed to dead fish, blood, fish oil, and whatever other juices or pieces might smell great to a shark. A shark might accidentally bite the feeder. Just feet away, I'm wearing only a 3mm wetsuit. It's my bare hand petting the shark. Neither I nor the camera operator wore chain mail. The whole movie is about an hour.

@Trace Malinowski that was cool! I’m glad there are people like you who can show us these wonders. How long does it take for the shark to become immobilized, and then what is the trigger for it to resume is normal behavior. Last of all, can they die if they don’t “wake up”? I thought they had to swim to “breathe “, or is that a myth

Since being certified I have been reluctant to watch any drama/action movies that have any relation to scuba.
Same here. The last thing I need is to remember something about one of those movies when I'm diving and enjoy the dive slightly less as a result. I've never been an avid suspense/horror movie fan, so I wouldn't have gone out of my way to watch them anyway.

@Trace Malinowski that was cool! I’m glad there are people like you who can show us these wonders. How long does it take for the shark to become immobilized, and then what is the trigger for it to resume is normal behavior. Last of all, can they die if they don’t “wake up”? I thought they had to swim to “breathe “, or is that a myth

Many species of sharks can breathe while stationary through a process called buccal pumping where the shark uses its mouth muscles to draw water into the mouth and over the gills. Other species must swim to breathe. That's called obligate ram pumping because the shark must swim to "ram" water into its gills. The tiger shark can do both. If you watch old James Bond movies, the tiger shark is often featured as a dangerous marine creature because it can be drugged and remain alive while stationary, then let go to "act" terrifying as it swims dopily along.

A shark can enter the tonic immobility state in less than 1 minute. You tickle along the nose and turn the shark upside down. The tickling might be related to mating, but it basically overloads the sensory organs and the shark reaches a state of temporary paralysis when placed on its back. If left undisturbed, the shark may remain in that state for up to 15 minutes. It comes out of it on its own or by moving it forward while upright. I'm sure if we put every shark in the ocean into tonic immobility a minute amount might experience adverse reactions just like we find rare human reactions to medicine, exercise, etc. But, to my knowledge, no shark has ever had a problem. Cristina works with sharks almost every day and it would destroy her soul to ever hurt one. She often coaxes sharks with hooks in their mouths into tonic immobility to remove the hook during feeds or film-making. I've seen her remove as many as 2 or 3 hooks in a day.

Since being certified I have been reluctant to watch any drama/action movies that have any relation to scuba. I usually won't even read the synopsis, I just hurry past that selection. Documentaries are ok, mostly. Today I decided I should stop being such a wimp and clicked on the description of "Open Water 3: Cage Dive ---To land a chance at stardom on a reality show, three American friends decide to make an audition tape of themselves cage diving in Australia. But when they end up stranded in baited, shark-infested waters, the audition reel becomes a survival diary."

Yeesh! :eek:

I cannot watch the cave diving scene (or any cave diving scenes) in Bruno Vallati's movie Dive to Danger. I'm scared to death of drowning.

Back
Top Bottom