"Scuba Diving Killing Older Divers"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many cardiac events give no warning signs. An article I read said that four out of ten can survive if given effective first aid. Having this happen underwater would be a really bad thing. I am sure it would reduce the odds even further.

Getting old sucks, but it beats the alternative. Now its off to physical therapy for me to get my shoulder ready for spring diving.

Can someone enlighten me as to why just being older is a reason to stop diving? Jim

It isn't. Just dive according to Clint Eastwood's recommendations: "A man's got to know his limitations."

I make sure that my dives are less strenuous than what I do on land, and can't come up with a good reason why I'd have a heart-attack under water instead of walking up a hill or a few flights of stairs.

flots

My dad drove himself pretty hard to keep in shape after he retired. My mom found him dead beside the exercise bike.

In perfect health, he dropped off the bike, dead. Schitt happens.

I'm very sorry for your loss but frankly I'd rather exit this world as your father did..... abruptly....healthy, strong and full of life.... than the way I've seen several loved ones go.... full of incurable cancer, fighting for a few extra days and trying very hard not so much to live but to "not die"

R..

It isn't. Just dive according to Clint Eastwood's recommendations: "A man's got to know his limitations."

I make sure that my dives are less strenuous than what I do on land, and can't come up with a good reason why I'd have a heart-attack under water instead of walking up a hill or a few flights of stairs.

flots

Exactly my thoughts. My dives are the most relaxing thing I can do. Floating weightless, almost silently, watching nature. At least until my air runs out and I have to come back to the reality of gravity.

I've told my family, if I die riding my motorcycle, diving or fishing, don't feel sorry for me. Be happy that the last moments of my life were doing what I love rather than wasting away battling some disease.

Jim

So, at 61, I to ride motorcycles and dive. And I ride a racing bicycle to keep in shape. All things considered dangerous. But hey, most people die in bed...
As Clint Eastwood was already cited: "Do you feel lucky?" I guess so.
I always think of the song by Queen: Who wants to live forever?
[video=youtube_share;5L8-FTvSVxs]http://youtu.be/5L8-FTvSVxs[/video]

So, at 61, I to ride motorcycles and dive. And I ride a racing bicycle to keep in shape. All things considered dangerous. But hey, most people die in bed...
As Clint Eastwood was already cited: "Do you feel lucky?" I guess so.
I always think of the song by Queen: Who wants to live forever?
[video=youtube_share;5L8-FTvSVxs]http://youtu.be/5L8-FTvSVxs[/video]

other than the bicycle racing +1, but remember that round is a shape too!

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited:
Every time I go to the doctors they tell me I have something wrong with me. After careful assessment, I found the problem. Bloody doctors. Now I don't go, apparently I am now well as I have heard no adverse comments about my health since.

I realize this is an old thread but I have this question.... What is it about diving that would cause a "mature" person to have problems? As a 62 year old, I find there are two things that really relax me, motorcycle riding and Scuba diving.

I don't really see what it is about diving that would be detrimental to my health. Now it can be a chore to climb long stairs getting out of a quarry, or getting on a heaving boat with all of the gear on, but other than that, I see nothing that would cause distress to my body. I'm a bit over weight with slightly high BP and high Cholesterol (treated with medication) and do have an annual physical.

Can someone enlighten me as to why just being older is a reason to stop diving?

Jim

There is nothing about AGE itself that justifies quitting diving! Medical conditions that may come with age (but also occur in youth) IMHO are what may force us to quit. My feeling is that I will dive as long as I can and as often as I can so If that DREAD DAY arrives I will have no regrets that I didn't pack as much life into my days as I could:doh:

I believe that at least some of the concern is, what the impact of one of us geezers passing while diving would have on other divers who would be involved in search and recovery.
Older people can have health issues, on land, or in h2o, but even minor problems under the water can lead to a fatal outcome. Other divers and responders become involved at that point, not just the diver.

I am on the fence on this, thinking about everyone's ideas. As a fellow aging diver, and biker I am pretty independent and strong willed, but I have to recognize that others may be badly impacted by my choices.

I agree Jim but I will make sure I let my dive buddies know whatever limitations I have to they can make their choices:flowers:

other than the bicycle racing +1, but remember that round is a shape too!

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

― Hunter S. Thompson
I absolutely love that quote:clapping:

This may be an OLD thread but this OLD topic is still appropriate for us *choke* ol.... um... MATURE.. yeah that is the word... Mature divers:giggle:

Every time I go to the doctors they tell me I have something wrong...

Same thing happens with my old pickup truck when I take it to the mechanic... (sigh)

Back
Top Bottom