"Scuba Diving Killing Older Divers"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Golfers die on the golf course (wouldn't catch me "dead" there), tennis players die on the courts, couch potatoes may even die on the sofa. I may die while diving, but at least I'll be doing something I've loved for over 50 years (of course dying in bed after a vigorous "workout" would be even better).

When we were young most of my friends and I figured we wouldn't make it to 30. Quite a few did not.

At this point I figure I am on borrowed time, so every day's a bonus. Might as well do the things that make life worth living while I still can.

What's this Golf thing you speak of? I was almost caught on a course, once. Apparently they don't like dirt bikes.....who knew? At least they installed fencing so we never made that mistake again!

I think the biggest risk for me would be to put off anything that's on my bucket list. According to most of my doctors I should have been dead many years ago, and yet here I am :) But I must be getting old--there's an ad over on the left from DHgate.com and it shows a naked woman with at least one part that I don't recognize. Do they make them with three legs now? Heck, I just saw one yesterday and she only had two legs. At least that's how I remember her. Do these ads show up everywhere or are they provided special for us grumpy old people?

There is something about being underwater, pain free, and amazed that lets us appreciate living. So, we will not give up diving until it's pulled from us kicking and screaming. We are careful and risk accepting- so bring it on:)

I think the biggest risk for me would be to put off anything that's on my bucket list. According to most of my doctors I should have been dead many years ago, and yet here I am :) But I must be getting old--there's an ad over on the left from DHgate.com and it shows a naked woman with at least one part that I don't recognize. Do they make them with three legs now? Heck, I just saw one yesterday and she only had two legs. At least that's how I remember her. Do these ads show up everywhere or are they provided special for us grumpy old people?

I think it is called a smile.:D

I'm not old yet (though being 29, I do feel like I'm going to feel "old" when I hit 30).

I have many memories of visiting my great grandparents in nursing homes. I can't imagine spending all day being cared for by a bunch of people like I'm an infant. Seeing family only when they choose to visit. Of course, this is more a condemnation of nursing homes than old age, but I can't help but feel like it'd be better to die while scuba diving than slowly fade away in a nursing home.

That's my 2psi. Maybe my perspective will change in 30 or 40 years... if God blesses me with that many years.

I think it is called a smile.:D

If I don't see a smile then it's time to start over :wink:

---------- Post added August 27th, 2015 at 09:46 AM ----------

I'm not old yet (though being 29, I do feel like I'm going to feel "old" when I hit 30).

I have many memories of visiting my great grandparents in nursing homes. I can't imagine spending all day being cared for by a bunch of people like I'm an infant. Seeing family only when they choose to visit. Of course, this is more a condemnation of nursing homes than old age, but I can't help but feel like it'd be better to die while scuba diving than slowly fade away in a nursing home..

When I was 30 I thought 50 was old. When I was 50 I thought 70 was old. Now that I'm 62 100 seems too young to die!

In spite of all that the years have thrown at me I can still do more pushups and pullups than most teenagers so my plan is to keep exercising and diving and staying in some kind of decent shape until everything completely shuts down. As for the nursing home, if I get to that point I'll probably start taking closeup pictures of great white sharks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom