Scuba Diving Magazine Redesign and "Page-Flipper"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally i would love to see the new format, the bigger the mag the bigger the photo the better it looks.

Now if only i can find it in Bali... :)

I look forward to seeing it in person. A prettier mag should do a little better at the retail stand, but the long term success ultimately depends on the content.

I would like to see a DEMA issue and Gear Comparisons (more like Car and Driver's top 10 and less like Road and Track's car of the year). At the end of a gear article I want the to know which is the best currently available (currently manufactured) and best all time. I know what am asking, but with objective reviews and test the risk is reduced and the respect is increased.

I just wish SDM was reader/subscriber focused rather than advertiser lead and I'd would be willing to accept writers that have traded their copy of Elements of Style for a tattered log book. Basically I want a publication for and by Divers (free, spear, new, tech, research...) and not too concerned about size.

Thanks for the feedback, Nereus

We're always trying to improve the content of the magazine to serve our readership of experienced, hard-core, live-to-dive divers while keeping the book accessible to beginners. I hear you on more diverse topics -- in 2007 did you see our "Dangerous Diving Jobs" feature? Or the story "Cold Case Solved: The Search for the Warrens" about a dive team that finally solved a 73-year-old missing persons case? And heads-up: In the March 2008 issue look for the feature "Born in the Wrong Sea" about the divers who are the studying the spread of an invasive Indo-Pacific species of Red Lionfish in the Atlantic.

Finally, let me extend the offer to you -- or anyone else reading this post -- to contact me directly if you have any specific story ideas, questions or comments about the magazine, or if you just want to talk diving!

Keith Phillips
Editor
(912) 351-6234
Kphillips@staff.scubadiving.com

P.S. -- "Advertiser lead?" Not us, bubba. Maybe you're thinking of the other guys?

Hey Mike:

Heads-up: In the next week or so we'll be sending out via e-mail a comprehensive set of photo submission guidelines to all the pros we've worked with recently. In addition to rates, formats and calendars, it also walks through all the changes to photo needs as a result of the redesign. Make sure Iris and Moira have your most recent address and look for it in your in-box.

Keith

The photo of the Humboldt Squid was awesome! I can't wait to read the article.
The new "page-flipper" is way cool, too.

Thanks, Nick and Keith!

Ken

Thanks!

I know what you mean about the squid! I've added a humboldt trip to my list of "gotta do it" dive experiences and destinations. Can you imagine what it must be like staring that sucker down?

Keith-

My husband and I get giddy every time your magazine arrives in the mail (complimentary subscription from our scuba shop). In December we went to Belize and the Belize issue traveled with us. How ironic that our next trip is looking like Curacao and what's on your latest cover! It's like your mind readers! Love the magazine, photos, camera tips and more!

Hi Nick / Keith, magazine layout looks great, but is there any reason you guys spelt Dumaguete as Damaguete?

Just returned from the mainland (no diving this weekend, just lecturing... and lovin') and found the new issue in my mail box. Will have to peruse it tomorrow after I catch up here on ScubaBoard!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom