Scuba diving may benefit those with spinal cord injuries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tdmp

Contributor
Reaction score
An interesting article in the L.A. Times about possible improvements for divers with spinal cord injuries. Among some of the finding:

" researchers found an average 15% drop in muscle spasticity, an average 10% increase in light touch sensitivity and an average 5% jump in sensitivity to pinprick. No one in the control group experienced any neurological changes.

On the mental health side of things, post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms decreased an average 80%"

People with spinal cord injuries may benefit from scuba diving - latimes.com

I wholeheartedly agree with the above post regarding benefits of Scuba diving for mentally and physically impaired divers. I have actually been working with and teaching disabled divers for many years now through Aquanauts Scuba Academy, Lookwood Memorial Dive Program, Veterans Ocean Adventures and other great organizations. I have worked with people who suffer from everything from paraplegia, blindness, amputations, post traumatic stress disorder, etc. and I have seen a marked improvement in almost all divers who go through our discover scuba class and continue with beach and boat dives.
The need, in my opinion, is to promote awareness and fundraise on a larger scale in order to continue these programs, as diving with people who have disabilities require many volunteer "buddy" divers and extra, often expensive custom equipment. Furthermore, disabled divers are generally at an economic disadvantage from their able bodied counterparts in the amount they can afford for boat and beach dives, obtaining equipment, etc. We need to gather sponsors on a larger scale.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom