Scuba Diving or Free Diving Cert first?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bkluffy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I am wanting to try both scuba diving and free diving. I'm not sure which one to get certified in first, though. I was thinking free diving because it seems like the equipment would be cheaper to purchase starting out and then i could later use that equipment when I was getting scuba certified later on. At the same time, I have a few friends who WILL go scuba diving, but won't go free diving.
The research I have done shows that freediving cert will cost about the same as scuba cert. Any recommendations? And which do you prefer freediving or scuba diving?

Free diving first, if for no other reason than it will make you a better scuba diver. A lot of us began as free divers; this made the transition to scuba a natural one.

Have fun, with whatever you decide!

Best wishes.

Thank you! And actually, that brings up another question: do I technically need to be free dive certified to free dive? It may be a stupid question, but to me, diving may as well be an unheard-of concept.

I have no idea what a free dive certification even is... does such a thing exist? I have no clue :D

If you can get some formal free dive training, terrific. Otherwise, go out with a group of "mentors" who are experienced in your area.... that is actually the way most folks have traditionally learned to free dive.

Me? My dad taught me at about age 12, then later had some spearfishing buddies / mentors in high school.... then as a high school graduation present an uncle gave me a gift certificate for a scuba course....

Best wishes.

Awesome. Yes, I guess there is a freediving certification, unless there is some misunderstanding on my part. It looks like "Performance Freediver" offers courses and upon completion, you get a "Certification Card" and a "Wall Certificate". It's $345 and I would rather skip out on that if I'm able to. I'd rather do like you said and just have a 'mentor'.

Depending on the extent you want to, or intend to, free dive, I'd suggest you pony up for the course.

Free diving can be a relaxing way to enjoy the u/w environment if you are careful not to exceed your capability. However, if you exceed your capability, it can get very dangerous, very quickly. Staying only a few seconds too long at depth can litterally mean the difference between a great dive and a tragic one. So, what's your capability? That is exactly what the course will teach you. It will also teach you how to extend your abilities in a safe and enjoyable manner. As already mentioned, the skills and knowledge you take from it will also make you a better scuba diver if or when you go that route.

Really, the price of the course is dirt cheap compared to the price you can pay for a simple mistake.

Hope that helps.

Lee

Check out SpearBoard California Section and DeeperBlue. I ran into an instructor in Monterey affiliated with Wallins San Carlos who offers a freedive course. The waters off Sonoma and Mendocino can be unforgiving for a novice. It depends how much ocean experience a person has and how strong a swimmer. The Freedive Shop Sacramento and Bodega Bay Prodive have internet sites to check out gear. I go to Carmel and Big Sur which on a nice day can be great for snorkeling and freediving.

I lived in the mid-west my whole life, so I have 0 ocean swimming experience, lol. Thank you for the heads up.

You don't need to be certified as a free diver, but formal education with someone who knows what they are doing will really help.

Free diving will not just make you a better SCUBA diver, it will make you a much, much better SCUBA diver.

SCUBA will not make your free diving skills any better at all. Everyone should learn free diving before SCUBA. That's one of the major problems with most classes today, they leave out this important step.

Back
Top Bottom