Scuba diving with my new Excalibur II with some success

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diverdon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
As I have never used a metal detector before, I thought I would try the Excal on the beach first, hoping to understand the tones and such. Too boring for me. So I took it out twice to two different locations. A rockt bottom dive site that maxes out around 22', and a sandy beach area with a couple small rock "islands". Areas where people like to lose things. Its cumbersome at first but a patient diver will learn the task loading without too much trouble. Experience is your friend.
On my second dive one of the buttons broke. I know they're known for this but Dang! Here is a short video showing this machine (and I) in action. I'm glad I had a pinpointer along too. I watched a video where the operator suggested detecting near rocky areas where lost items can get trapped and they were right.
This hobby is a blast but those of you out there wanting to try this know this, its takes time to search an area. Lots of time.
If anyone else has tips to offer I'm all ears. Have fun, HH and dive safe!

Good job on getting your first metal detector.

The Excal is a great machine, so with practice you will do much better.

Those knobs are known to break off all the time, so I would suggest speaking to Anderson Detector Shafts about getting a different mounting kit.

Anderson Detector Shafts- Enhance Your Metal Detecting Experience - Minelab

This will shorten the length of the detector, and at the same time help protect the knobs. They also have replacement knobs if you haven't found any yet.

I would also tighten up the bolt at the bottom where you coil is, and try not to bash the coil into the rocks too much.

The machine will pick up targets a good 10"-12" deep (depending on the size), but comfortably 8" so there is no need to drag yours around.

I realize that the wave action makes it a little hard at times, but this will help prolong the life of your coil.

Learn the tones and use the pinpoint mode on your detector, and it will help make your life a lot easier.

The Garrett propointer (affectionately known as the Garrett Carrot) is only good up to 10' of water, so I wouldn't go much deeper.......or at least not until you are out of warranty.

I know people who go a lot deeper than 10' with theirs, but just be warned.

Also when trying to retrieve your target try waving your hand over the surface junk. It will help clear that stuff away, and save wear and tear on your gloves a bit longer.

Good luck out there.

John

Thanks for the advice and links, John. Being novice and not having friends or acquaintances who detect has left me to watching videos for learning how to operate the detector. Questions are rarely answered on most YouTube videos, which is why I try my darndest to answer any that come my way, but questions to ask like the ones youveyjust answered aren't always asked neither.
I suspect that a deep target will create an intermiiinte chirp as I have noticed a few (hence the following rough use) that could not easily be replicated? Once some depth was attained the machine would sound again and more consistently. I have some footage of me digging a hole only to have the sand fill it right back up before I found the target. That gets old.
I intend to use the machine more next year after I've done a little more research on the matter.
I watched one video where a gentleman placed several targets about his yard to try and learn the difference in to eat. Perhaps I'll try that. Thoughts?
Your advice is greatly appreciated!

DD

I metal detect all the time. I do water hunting in the summer and dirt in the winter. I snorkel dive and hunt as well as wade and use a long handled scoop. I love treasure hunting of all types and I have a YouTube channel myself. You can check my stuff out here.
WildDigger

Good hunt good channel I will subscribe.

I think a test garden is a brilliant idea, and I recommend it to a lot of people.

ScubaBorad, if this is against the rules then please delete my next line.

I am a moderator on a Canadian metal detecting forum ( canadianmetaldetecting.com ) under the same user name, and encourage anybody with interest to join. Even if it isn't our forum, to join any metal detecting forum as the knowledge base there is amazing.

We have quite a few members who use the Excal or the CZ21 and others, that I'm sure would be happy to help further as far as tones go.

I find Youtube videos to be a winter pastime for me in so far as learning new settings and seeing what works best for others.

There are so many variables in machines, water types, locations that it takes quite a long time to get really comfortable with your machine. Typically I would tell people that a minimum of 100 hours is what you should expect before things start to really fall into place. Of course it varies by person, but that's just a good guideline.

I've been metal detecting for years, not only in Canada, but the US and UK too, and found the only consistent thing between each is the unpacking of my machine. Aside from that each location is different with it's own challenges. Many not hard to work out in a few seconds, but just like out scuba kits, preparation is key.

The Excal is great in the way that you don't have to do a manual ground balance, but for land machines its a great habit to get in to. Do it often and that will help solve half your problems.

With the Excal its more about taking your time to hear and learn the tones as there is no visual ID to help, but I find that not having a visual ID makes you pay more attention and perhaps a better detectorist.

You will dig a lot of crap up front, but I don't mind that because I've found some pretty interesting stuff mixed in with the crap.

Keep your coil cord tight and away from the coil were possible as it will cause some interference, but not too tight so that you aren't putting any undo strain on it.

Once you get better with the Excal you will likely not need your propointer as often, but I never leave home without mine. LOL....

The sand falling back in the hole is for sure a pain, but just think how great the feeling is when you finally get that gold ring.........or ring pull. :rofl3:

Thanks for the advice and links, John. Being novice and not having friends or acquaintances who detect has left me to watching videos for learning how to operate the detector. Questions are rarely answered on most YouTube videos, which is why I try my darndest to answer any that come my way, but questions to ask like the ones youveyjust answered aren't always asked neither.
I suspect that a deep target will create an intermiiinte chirp as I have noticed a few (hence the following rough use) that could not easily be replicated? Once some depth was attained the machine would sound again and more consistently. I have some footage of me digging a hole only to have the sand fill it right back up before I found the target. That gets old.
I intend to use the machine more next year after I've done a little more research on the matter.
I watched one video where a gentleman placed several targets about his yard to try and learn the difference in to eat. Perhaps I'll try that. Thoughts?
Your advice is greatly appreciated!

DD
I always do my best to answer my viewers questions on my YouTube channel. https://www.youtube.com/c/AmericanDiggerInEurope
I have around 4,600 + subscribers and I specialize in underwater and beach detecting. If you have any questions concerning any type of metal detecting, I stand ready to help!

Thanks for the advice and links. 100 hours sounds like a long time to learn the machines idiosyncracies, especially when we have such a short dive season up here.
I have seen your channel too, ADIE, thanks for the offer to help. I believe I will spend the winter months resrarreseaand finding a shaft or mounting option better than the stock options that theachine came with. Do you have that kind of video on your channel?
Thanks for sharing gentleman. I have much catching up to do.

DD

Take the machine to a beach and bury some targets and see how they react. It will be similar to what you hear in the water, so it would at least be a start.

The added bonus would be if you are doing saltwater beaches (or any beach for that matter), your backyard or test garden won't react the same.

Good Luck.

John

Thanks, John! I'm minutes away from Lake Superior so I'll try your recommendation and gather some things to bury and detect.

DD

Brrrrr, Lake Superior.

I’ve swam in Superior a few times........for about 8 seconds each time. Holy mother of god can it get cold. LOL

Back
Top Bottom