Scuba Fix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

$75 + shipping ???
Plenty of better quality used BC's on the market for that money that never break.

I looked into this a few years ago when my inflator hose's flange separated from my BC. There was not a North American distributor at the time to my recollection...there is a Canadian one now, but the price $84 - $141 dollars depending on BC model, for a DIY repair that may not work out is just asking too much for such an experiment. If the repair fails at depth it could be big problem unless you have redundant buoyancy capability such as a drysuit or lift bag.

DGX sells parts to make this type of repair but the opening in the BCD must be about 1 inch/25mm or less...my BCD had an opening roughly 50mm wide...I was advised from multiple sources there was no way to effect a repair that one could rely on. In the end I replaced my BCD with a BP/W and have been living happily ever after.

-Z

75$ shipping is a no-go for me.
Considering this a DIY forum I'd start defining your dependence of a BC. If you heavily rely on a BC to safely complete your dives I'd look for either a new one or maybe a used one same model of what you have.

I consider it a nicety not a must have. If having issues with the inflator hose at the base I'd look for a replacement part and install it myself and if there's no part that fits it right, analyze which way it doesn't fit:
The existing hole too small .. perfect problem, just make the hole bigger. Or
Too big of an opening so it would be an opportunity to experiment.with stitches, sealers and glues, not necessarily all of them but maybe. Think of it as a modified dry-suit patch.

The price and the fact bonding is involved makes it a deal breaker for me. I recently repaired a wing that normally uses a non-standard size fitting. I did use a standard flange kit from DGX, and also a couple of large washers from the hardware store, plus a little Aquaseal. It's not something I would sell to a customer, but fine for my use.

Not concerned with $75. That's hardly a bump when it comes to the expenses of diving, like having that BC around as a spare or for guests. Had it for years, brand new condition except for the dump valve . Just looking if to see if anyone had 1st hand knowledge of the product. Dive Gear Express about 15 mins. away. I may try them

If $75 is nothing to you for a BCD repair then why not just invest in a new BCD so that when your guests go diving with your gear they are not being saddled with a potential death trap.

-Z

If $75 is nothing to you for a BCD repair then why not just invest in a new BCD so that when your guests go diving with your gear they are not being saddled with a potential death trap.

-Z
Are you writing because have 1st hand experience with the product and are telling me using it would result in diving in a death trap? Or are you just a know-it-all blowing smoke? I happen to like the BC for it's intended purpose

Reactions: BRT
No I am purely stating that a cobbled together repair is potentially unsafe and can prove disastrous if it re-fails at depth. It is impossible to adequately and appropriately test the integrity of a self-repair of this nature. Personally, I would use the repair kit if it cost less making it worth the experiment, but I would not allow another person to use the BCD. The fact that you were pompous enough to express that $75 to experiment with this repair kit is of no consequence makes one think that you have expendable income...if you truly do have expendable income then you would shell out the cash to replace your busted BCD, otherwise you are just truly pompous.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

-Z

Back
Top Bottom