Scuba Force's Sf2 Rebreather... With Training By Tom Mccarthy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Picking a rebreather used to be rather simple as there were only a few choices out there. Over the last five/ten years the number and quality of available rebreathers has exploded. In addition, accidents and even fatal accidents have plummeted. Rebreathers have made the transition from being a "box of death" to becoming very main stream.

The first question you need to ask yourself is: Do you need one? Or is it just "want"? Does that even matter? While they have a far better 'success' rate, rebreathers are still dangerous. As I move into this phase of my diving, Elena wants to be sure my will and living will are in order. So why do I want to dive a rebreather? Cave diving. I'm toting two LP120s and stages now and am still not making the distance that I would like. It's not so much the distance as it is the time. There's a lot in the beginnings of these caves that I've never gotten to see simply because air has always been a concern. Then there's the deco obligation. So much less than OC that it's almost criminal. I remember the first time I saw an SF2. Tom McCarthy was side mounting it in the Devil's System. We were down for about the same time and I had a deco obligation. Poor Tom had a buddy obligation. He was freezing while I was doing deco. In addition, I would like to do tri-mix and believe that doing it on a rebreather makes the most sense.

The second question is which rebreather. This was the hardest question by far. I trained on a Revo, but the politics surrounding that have soured me to the unit. There's just no 'feature' that can't be found in other rebreathers without all the drama. So, I've set out to dive as many rebreathers as possible. Sometimes this was at a try-dive event and more often it was with an instructor for the unit. There are a couple that I would still like to try, like the Op2tima. In actuality I narrowed my search down to three with the SF2 becoming my choice. Why? It's the only rebreather that's been designed to be back or side mounted straight from the factory. No futzing around trying to modify a unit designed for back mount to be used as a side mount. I'll be doing my crossover on the back mounted unit, but I will be getting the side mount mods in the not too distant future. The other aspect that really intrigued me was the design of the counter lung. I'll be posting pictures as the next few days unfold, showing what I'm talking about. This unit is designed to deal with the condensation and small leaks that are inherent with rebreathers, and provides an easy way to get rid of it. I've had a caustic cocktail before, so this is important to me.

Today, will be my final prep day before tomorrow's class starts with Tom McCarthy @Tmccar1. I'll be going through the Petrel 2 CanBus manual one more time as well as adding a whistle and knife to my BCD. I've already made one mod to the harness system to that it slides like my other BCs. I've had this unit for about a month now. It came in a beautiful bag and I've already built it out. Here's a picture of it in my Sprinter.

upload_2016-3-20_9-30-35.png

So stay tuned. I'll be taking a number of pics of the next few days and maybe even some video. We'll see how much Tom changes my kit around.

I've been having a lot of fun today, dealing with minutiae. I've played with the Shearwater before, but not the DiveCan version. I really, really like this Shearwater Petrel 2. One of the cool things is updating not only the software through my laptop and then Bluetooth, but also modifying the startup screen. I put in my name and phone number just in case it ever gets lost.

upload_2016-3-20_15-42-32.png

I read through the entire manual today. I got familiar with all the terms and menus, familiarizing myself with being able to change, from CCR to OC, switch between OC or CC gases, switch the set point from .7 to 1.3 and even to .19 (bench mode). I could hear the solenoid clicking away before I set it to bench mode. After that, I set the setpoints to change automatically. I went through all the connectors, making sure they were clean. That was a given since this hasn't been dove yet. I really like that I can separate the PDC from the head. It makes playing with it in the comfort of my living room incredibly convenient.

If you aren't familiar with DiveCan, it's a variant of a CAN Bus system. A CAN is a Controller Area Network and you can CAN Busses used on almost every modern vehicle. It's a digital solution to dealing with multiple analog inputs and outputs while being able to communicate with various displays/controllers. Since it's digital, it can run a checksum on all of it's communications, making sure that it's giving us good data. If for some reason the Petrel 2 should fail, the internal DiveCan system takes over. This will be the first CCR I have dove without a HUD Noid indicator. I'm OK with that. It comes standard with a Fischer cable so I can add another Petrel or other PDC.

There's a lot of information in the Petrel 2. I like the built in compass and look forward to using that in the water. I also like theTTS and TTS+5 which gives you how much time to surface if you add another five minutes at your current depth. Just more ways to make your diving smarter and more enjoyable.

glad to see you moving to the Dark Side Pete. The SF2 is a great unit, however it will never be one that I will ever be able to seriously consider as it has one major design flaw that is a safety issue for me. Not one for most people, but due to the diminutive counterlung size it would essentially become a glorified SCR for me and not a particularly good one at that. I'm still hunting for a sidemount rebreather that I can actually use safely, and that is currently what is keeping me from crossing over. Can't wait to see you down in the caves with it and pick your brain on this one though as it has some fantastic design features that I absolutely love

Really? I dove it at a discover day without any problems with the counter lung. If anything, I overfilled it. Maybe that flaw will become evident in training. I'll certainly look for it. This will be the third rebreather I've been certified on. I've dove many more.

counterlung is 4.3l, and I can exceed 6l if exerting myself. 4.3 is perfectly sufficient for normal diving, but if I had to push hard for some reason it wouldn't be anywhere near enough

Tom, would 2 x 3L counter lungs work for you?

I believe so, though I haven't had experience trying to overbreathe that, but yes, 2x 3l is what I consider the bare minimum for me to consider a unit. Jay, I assume you are looking at the MX-Z, and that follows the low-rider principal started by Billy Gambrel a while ago but uses the Kiss Classic as the base. Problem with these is they are not self contained and not easy to put on and take off due to integration with the harness. I would much rather a Flex with modern electronics on it, but use the Meg15 style head instead of the Hammerhead since it would cut about 3" out of the total unit length.

Pete, looking forward to a full course eval from you over the next week!

counterlung is 4.3l, and I can exceed 6l if exerting myself. 4.3 is perfectly sufficient for normal diving, but if I had to push hard for some reason it wouldn't be anywhere near enough
Thats a feature, not a problem. If you're exerting yourself, having some exhaled gas (prescrubber) dumped out of the CL can prevent a co2 issue. You *want* that fresh gas.

that is a heavily debated subject and depends largely on the scrubber design, but either way with being able to comfortably maintain a 6l tidal volume for things like kicking into high flow caves, I'd rather not be exhaling against the opv and inhaling against an adv on every breath, especially with the counterlung that far down.

I believe this is what scooters were made for. That will be another thread! :D

Everything's in the Sprinter. I'm off to the first session.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom