Scuba Gauge Talk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like having a console with the SPG, compass, and computer for the reasons you mentioned. I nearly always set up my own gear so nobody is banging my stuff around.

The banging around is more like when the crew “insists” you hand them your gear prior to getting back on the boat. That’s when it gets banged around. On a normal scuba boat, I can typically get back on the boat with gear on no problem. Diving from a panga, much more difficult.

My girlfriend likes having her computer on her wrist and recently we spent considerable time looking for it after a dive. If it was on her console this probably would not have happened.

Was her arm bit off? Haha jk

My girlfriend's Mares Puck Pro seems to have gone bonkers when she went past 120 feet.

That’s crazy, I’ve never heard of a pc freaking out at depth like that.

Audible alarms on other diver's computers are one of the most annoying things I've had to deal with during dives

Probably in my top 5 also but after:

1. Divers who chase animals to get a pic or video
2. Annoying bright camera/video lights that blind you
3. People who can’t control their buoyancy/speed or are swimming against the current and in the way/bumping into you
4. People who wear gloves or touch everything including the reef

I have a AI computer with a compass in my console. Clipped to the left.hip.

I also have a AI computer on my right wrist.

The console I put in a pocket on my belt when hand of my equipment.

Personally I have an AI capable computer on both wrists (my choice) I use AI on one of them. Equally (as a few months back when my transmitters were away I'm happy to use my SPG

I still keep an analogue SPG - I had them before AI, they're still going strong and I see non need to remove them

I prefer an analogue compass. Mine is a wrist mount with bungee and I have it attached to my much stick which is always clipped on to my rig. So I have it if I need it and it's no hassle if I don't

I think computers on consoles are just nonsense, but it's always up to the individual. I'm happy with my arrangements on my rigs, it gets dived a few times a month year round, and no problems

Go with what you're comfortable with and what your pocket can afford

That’s crazy, I’ve never heard of a pc freaking out at depth like that.

I was wearing two computers--one said 119 feet and the other said 120 feet. Hers said 160 feet. She could not have been more than five feet below me.

I'm still trying to understand how and why some computers punish you for violations such as not doing a decompression stop and revert to being only a depth gauge and bottom timer. She has a Mares Puck Pro and I see numbers and such on the dive log and I don't know what the numbers mean. They might be times, dates, whatever. Maybe it didn't like that she exceeded the "maximum sport diving depth" or something. It's probably not good that we got four computers within a short period of time. So far I like the old Beuchat Aladin Pro the best--very simple to read and understand. I just might go back to diving without a computer. Life was simpler then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom