Scuba Gear Package - Where to start?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lateralus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Me and my wife have been diving for a while now. After our recent diving trip to Grand Cayman, we realized that renting equipment isn't the way to go on these scuba trips. We could've been well on our way to owning our own equipment after dive trips to Cozumel (3x), GC, Thailand, etc... It's time to pull the trigger.

We are in the market to purchase BC's, regulator, octopus, guage, etc, combo but don't know where to start. It seems like there are thousands of providers. How do we go about this? We have a budget in mind.

We don't want to spend more than $1000 (USD) per person for the combo.
We would like to shy away from Backplate BCD's.
We prefer a BCD with integrated weights as opposed to Weight Belts.
We both dive Nitrox

Also, Is there a time of the year that scuba diving equipment is the cheapest?
Should we shy away from ordering online due to fit? My wife at times has trouble getting the right size fit.
My buddy and his wife got gear together and got a massive discount on what I'm looking for, but that was years back and he went into a local dive shop in Florida, not sure if online will provide something like this.

Thanks for your tips.

We don't want to spend more than $1000 per person for the combo.
Unless things are a lot different over there than here in Australia, $1000 won't get you much. I paid around $2100AUD for my Oceanic gear (Excursion qlr4 BCD, Delta 5 EDX reg set etc), just book up whatever you want on interest free :)

Unless things are a lot different over there than here in Australia, $1000 won't get you much. I paid around $2100AUD for my Oceanic gear (Excursion qlr4 BCD, Delta 5 EDX reg set etc), just book up whatever you want on interest free :)

I think my buddy and his wife got backplate/reg combo for under $600 each.

Cressi Solid Scuba Package A package like this cost $499 here.

Scuba Gear Oceanic Package or $699

I think my buddy and his wife got backplate/reg combo for under $600 each.
Yeah I guess deals come up for gear that they can't get rid of, you get what you pay for. Don't get me wrong, even the cheapest new set up will be good/safe enough to do the job.
BTW $700US = $1000AUD

Hi @Lateralus

I agree with @Mike1967, you may find it very difficult and/or limiting to get a package for less than $1000. It appears you are in the market for 2 BCs, regulator sets, and computers/SPGs. You will have some bargaining power with that size purchase. Your scuba equipment will last a long time, I would try not to skimp on the initial purchase, get equipment you will be happy with for a long time.

I would suggest developing a rough idea of what you want, and then visit a few local shops to see what they could do for you for the two sets. I would not be in a big hurry and would take the time to compare offerings. Many of the reputable online dealers also offer package construction and discounts. LeisurePro would be one example.

My BC, regulator set, and computer would run nearly $3000 list price. I'm sure you could get a fine set for less than that, you could certainly spend more. Best of luck in your purchase.

Buy used… this hobby is great because so many people think they’ll enjoy it for years, they gear up, spending a small fortune, and after a few years they stop diving for whatever reason. Often this gear has maybe 10-30 dives on it…

Used regulators can be had for 50% off retail, have them serviced and you could still save a few hundred over new, full retail prices… Very lightly used regulators, that are rebuilt, are just as good/ reliable as brand-new ones…

The same goes for BC’s… I’d find a good, very lightly used, BC that fit’s the type of diving you want to do (seems like you travel a lot, so I’d take that into account). Once I found a good deal on a used one I’d either be vigilant to scour the forums for a matching one for the other person or break down and just buy a new one. When buying BC’s, I really wanted matching ones, mainly so my wife knows how to get me out of my BC, drop my weights, etc. should there be an emergency… no need to have 2 different systems when it’s not needed…

Gauge… get simple (used) brass and glass SPG’s and buy a computer that’ll give you depth… no need for a huge console there.

Lastly, keep an eye out for some accessories that you may want, namely a DSMB and spool. Again, look for used, I scored a used Halcyon one for maybe $40 (don’t remember exactly without checking…). That DSMB is like $100+ new, so good deals are out there…

I see no reason why you can’t get HIGH quality, almost new gear for 2 people for less than $2,000… Just be vigilant and know what a good price is, so you can pull the trigger before someone else grabs up a deal!

regulators, computers: buy online for much cheaper price than local.
BCD: buy in local shop to ensure the comfort fit.

Mk25/ S600

Many people consider this a great regulator… $400 (used) but more then likely just a return that was opened and sent back…
Scubapro MK25/S 600 Regulator DIN

R095 Octo

New, didn’t feel like looking for a used deal… $150 (running total $550)
Scubapro R095 Octopus, Yellow

Oceanic Biolite Travel BCD

I’m partial to this, as it happens to be what I dive. $225, again used, but in ‘excellent condition’ according to them… (running total $775)
Oceanic Biolite Travel BCD

SPG’s new… $80, you can find quality used ones for around $50-$60 though (running total $855)
DGX Custom - SPG and Flex Hose Assembly in PSI

OR

Skip this and get a hose, air integrated computer, not my favorite set up, but when you take the $80 out for the SPG it’s almost too cheap not to upgrade… $290 (running total $1065)
Suunto Cobra

So… $855 with no computer, or $1065 with a computer. That being said, I’d bet a pay check on it, that if you called LP they’d do even better with their prices, or throw in something you’d actually want and use (maybe that DSMB and a spool for each of you!!)

I’d also argue that these are quality kits, maybe not the ‘Cadillac’ of dive equipment (the mk25/s600 is though)… all for around $1,000!! Also, better deals can be found on the classifieds, but that takes time and diligence…

HAPPY SHOPPING…

If you are decidedly against diving a back-plate, then maybe consider something like a Dive Rite trans pack. You get much of the benefit of back inflate/wing with a softer harness and maybe a little more travel friendly. They're very modular and adjustable. I know several women who like them a lot for single tank diving. ..weight pockets are easily added on and can be moved around which is better that some integral designs.

As far as pricing goes, you should find a dealer and show up in person. You can almost always get a better deal in person with some sort of package. Shops have to live within dealer MAP pricing, so even online sales might not always be best.

Also keep in mind, DEMA is this month out in vegas. There are often package deals that become available at this time.

Back
Top Bottom