Scuba gear shopping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Goooooood question, simple answer.
All the gear I have right now is all that gear that cannot be rented (well, not all).
I love UW photo. No where can be rented an UW camera (at least where I live).
In every LDS the basic gear can be rented, but this does not include knife, PDC, Compass, gloves, boots, slate, lights and camera. A fully rented equipped diver (for example you are a diver but have not carried your gear and all of a sudden you can dive) has none of the mentioned devices. Only wetsuit, BC, reg, tank, weights, fins and mask, even no snorkel !!!
OK. I think I understand now. Does the LDS rent out an analog depth gauge with the reg? So long as the LDS rents out a depth gauge, you can use an inexpensive digital watch as a timing device and dive using tables.

I think I would have approached things differently from you. I'd recommend purchasing gear in the following order: "personal gear" (fins/mask/snorkel/gloves/booties), wetsuit, BCD, reg, lead, and tank. After all of the essential stuff, then I would buy a computer and an UW camera. I realize that others will probably disagree with me on this.

Good luck buying all that stuff. Purchasing new gear can be a lot of fun...and expensive. :)

OK. I think I understand now. Does the LDS rent out an analog depth gauge with the reg? So long as the LDS rents out a depth gauge, you can use an inexpensive digital watch as a timing device and dive using tables.

I think I would have approached things differently from you. I'd recommend purchasing gear in the following order: "personal gear" (fins/mask/snorkel/gloves/booties), wetsuit, BCD, reg, lead, and tank. After all of the essential stuff, then I would buy a computer and an UW camera. I realize that others will probably disagree with me on this.

Good luck buying all that stuff. Purchasing new gear can be a lot of fun...and expensive. :)

Rented regs can have a wide set of instruments. From manometer only to manometer + depth gauge + compass.
I've learned that I can only trust in the manometer.
Lead and weight belt is something I did myself, just for the pleasure of making my own gear.
Buying my PDC was something for my own pleasure + a great oportunity I've found.
As you mention, buying my own gear gives me pleasure and weak wallet.

What the heck is a man-o-meter?
It measures how much of a man you are, obviously. :shakehead: At 9-1/2", mine is so large that I have to strap it to my leg. People call it "Big Squeeze." Here's a pic:

"Big Squeeze"

It measures how much of a man you are, obviously. :shakehead: At 9-1/2", mine is so large that I have to strap it to my leg. People call it "Big Squeeze." Here's a pic:

"Big Squeeze"

Mine's bigger :rofl3:.

a spg is a manometer - something to measure pressure (in this case, the pressure inside a tank).

Hi Emoreira, I'm in the same position as you, new back to diving after a 15 yr absence. Because I dive weekly I decided it was more cost effective to get my own gear, and I started with the BC because:
* I've had some trouble with rented BCs - the last time I rented one, the inflator hose started leaking air and the BC had to be inflated by mouth underwater (I was overweighted), then the dumps stopped working so half way through the dive I popped up like a cork and had to surface swim for quite a while (which maybe was a blessing in disguise as the leak had bled so much air I probably wouldn't have been able to stay down for the whole dive anyway);
* I wanted integrated weights, hard to get in a rental;
* You can't always get a ladies' BC when you rent, and they're definitely much more comfortable for us females; and
* While proper exposure protection is important everywhere, it's probably not as much of an issue in a Sydney summer (which has just finished) than it is in colder waters, so rented wet/semi dry suits which don't quite fit are still okay.

Having said that, owning your own gear addictive :chuckle: so within a fortnight I also had a semi-dry, reg, octopus, computer and compass - so much for my resolution to just go with the BC for now!

All the best
M

I want to thank to all the people that took time to answer my post and gave it's uninterested feedback.

Last edited:
I'd go with the BCD. The more comfortable you are in it and with it re: your bouyancy the less air you will waste inflating and deflating the BCD, giving you more bottom time. Just one guys opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom