• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Scuba geocaching

Discussion in 'Underwater Treasures' started by Jake, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Jake

Jake ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    (I realize this isn’t traditional treasure, so if a mod wants to move this please do.)

I’ve enjoyed finding geocaches for a while now and finally hid my first one today. I noticed that one of the available tags when submitting it was “requires scuba equipment.”

Until that moment I hadn’t really thought about scuba diving and geocaching together, but now I’m super intrigued.

I’m curious if anyone on the board has ever hidden one underwater or has found one. If so, can you tell me more about the container, location, etc?

2. Searcaigh

Searcaigh Chromodoris gordonii Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I believe there is an underwater geocache off Dubai that one of my Land Rover buddies hid many years ago.

I've personally not got into Geocaching but I understand it can be fun if you don't get too serious about it.

Jake likes this.
  3. SloppyJoe

SloppyJoe Angel Fish

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    I also have some plans to hide underwater....
    Terrain 5 for sure

Jake likes this.
  4. Zef

Zef Divemaster

There used to be one in a lake here in Belgium. There is a city bus sunk between 15 and 18 meters deep...the windows are and door have been removed to make it a safer swim through. The geocache was hidden inside. Have not seen it in a couple of years though.

-Z

Jake likes this.
  5. mattherat

mattherat Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I have only just got into geocaching so it is all very new to me, but i would love to be able to find some underwater

6. JustSurfaceInterval

JustSurfaceInterval ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

Yes, Underwater Caches should be T5 and D5 because of special skills and equipement required.
    You can search for them on the Geocaching.com Map by selecting the "scuba gear needed" attribute.
    :cool:

FezUSA and Jake like this.
  7. Zef

Zef Divemaster

8. JustSurfaceInterval

JustSurfaceInterval ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

9. Bowers

Bowers Public Safety Diver

I hid a few around me Last year and gave the information to students when they got certified. I put plastic items in them and give directions to take a picture with it when found. Last year i offered a free class to anyone who got a picture of all of them. Just one way of keeping new divers active in the sport :)

FezUSA, Jake, Searcaigh and 1 other person like this.
  10. WeRtheOcean

WeRtheOcean Barracuda

# of Dives: None - Not Certified
    Since when can people be counted on not to get too serious about something like that?