Scuba Geocaching

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You'll need to click on the "Pictures" link to the left side.

Only works with Magellan GPSr units, not Garmins. Garmins will 'vanish' the info on the screen upon loss of signal (such as when pulled underwater) whereas Magellans will freeze the last info on the screen.

Unfortunately, most cachers I know use one or other model of Garmin, as they perform the same as Magellans (the higher end Garmins do, at least) yet cost substantially less.

Though, I saw Doppler's GPSr once, and it looked sweet...... :wink:

Oh BTW, this technique has already been discussed at length on Groundspeak's forums.

Sounds like a cool way to do it. It would be nice if Garmin had that available as well. All very innovative!!!

rachelscott51:
Sounds like a cool way to do it. It would be nice if Garmin had that available as well. All very innovative!!!

Although i haven't proved this underwater, when I tried it on the surface the Garmin that I use only popped up a small message indicating that satellite reception had been lost. It didn't clear the screen. I own a Garmen eTrex Legend. (not the new color one). The message covered only the botton 1/10 to 1/8 of the screen keeping the rest of the screen fully viewable. I'll post a picture shortly to show you.

Regards,

King Kahekili is my favorite geocache of all times but it's inactive now as the hider didn't replace it when it washed away in a storm off of Maui. It was hidden in a sunken outrigger canoe in about 40 feet of water.

We love geoaching and have found 1181 caches so far. If it wasn't for this diving thing we could have found thousands more but I love to dive more.

But this geocaching is pretty fun.

For those that frequent the forums of geocaching.com, there is a thread I started back in October concerning Scuba Caches.

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=82146

If you can't find it via the link, it is located in this forum:

Groundspeak Forums -> General Geocaching Discussions -> Geocaching Topics
"Scuba Caches, Hard to find, so listed here"

Feel free to add any to the list. I enjoy watching them and reading the logs.

--don

Ive read there is one inside the hms Yukon down in san diego hidden behind a toilet. I've been excited about going to try to find it (need to look at a map and see how deep of a penetration it is first) I was just down on the Palimar last weekend, I should have left a cache but didn't even think of it. Hmm I'm going out to La Janelle Sunday....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom