Scuba Geocaching

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love geocaching and am on a quest to set up some scuba caches in CO (this summer)....maybe we can make diving in this cold, land-locked state more exciting!

There is a geocache in Lake Travis, near Austin, Texas. Divers usually find it by floating or kayaking to the coordinates on the surface, dropping a marker, and then diving the site.

I've been thinking of placing one or two here, especially after I heard about the ones in Lake Travis (my family lives near there). I've done some geocaching on land, and it's fun (and sometimes challenging). I just want to leave my mark underwater here in Hawaii as I am moving next year.

I wonder if SB would put up a forum for Underwater Geocaching. Would that be Technical Diving or merely advanced??

Peace,
Greg

Gotta say this is a really cool idea. And sounds like a fun way to practice navigation and gives a reason to go exploring dive sites for interesting spots where to hide the cache.

we do caches in the areas we go diving like after the dives, I have seen them placed in the water in a jar on a string in the water under a pier,but how about a cache on a dive site were you just recorded a no# or a code? it would or could be a snorkel / dive/free dive?
I am going to place one off were I live attached to a rock in public waters off a park on Lake Michigan as a multi cache shore dive with a difficulty level, and start point GPS mark,distance to location with GPS#s,depth,distance from shore & a code no to log and email back for confirmation.and see if I get any hits! wow great way to meet other divers!

I've recently gotten into geocaching and have heard, but not seen, any underwater caches. What do people know? I'm assuming this is on the rise in the U.S. and worldwide. I'm excited about the prospect!

Anyone else have experience with UW geocaches?

Great.... Just what we need..... More garbage in the water......

No matter how you look at it, geocaching is littering. Is there not enough garbage around the world without intentionally adding even more trash?

I suppose it could be considered as "trash", but the old saying has merit..."One person's trash is another's treasure".

Personally, I define trash as stuff that has no value and is, therefore, discarded. To me, the geocaches do, indeed, have a value. They invite divers to explore sites they might not otherwise visit, and to find them one must exercise some skills that many divers allow to go dormant...navigation, close observation, etc. By reporting the geocache's location and their visits, divers get the opportunity to meet and talk with other divers, thus building new networks and buddies. I see multiple benefits.

Another good thing is that the whereabouts of this "trash" is known. Therefore, it can be removed with ease if it has no functionality or has outlived its usefulness. Another good thing is that most of the underwater geocaches I know of are in freshwater lakes and quarries. Many of these locations tend to be rather "bland" on the bottom, unlike reefs and other marine environments. Therefore, a little bit of planted "trash" will have no impact upon any ecosystems or species while potentially serving up benefits.

Granted, haphazard dumping of stuff on the bottom and calling them geocaches would be a bad thing. However, with just a bit of thought, these attractions could provide entertainment and education for a lot of folks.

this is a great idea seems like there is some serious interest in it. has anyone found any websites with approx. locations for underwater caches? if not, has anyone thought about starting said site?

i frequently dive a small cove in jamestown RI. i think it'd be a cool place for a cache. what would the setup be?

was going to try to place some in DE maybe around the China Wreck, and might try to get permission to place one at dutch springs.

I suppose it could be considered as "trash", but the old saying has merit..."One person's trash is another's treasure".

Yeah, trying to convice a geo-terrorist (geocacher) that "geocaching" is litter is like trying to convince a smoker that cigarette smoke is bad for everyone else around them.

So it all depends on the perpetrator's perspective? Following that logic, if I dump a bunch of garbage in your front yard and call it "geocaching," that's okay?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom