Scuba Geocaching

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. This is not a pile of garbage.

Ha! Says who? You? Any crap that you dump in the ocean is garbage. Period. Justify it all you want, it doesn't change anything. It's still garbage. leave your garbage out of the ocean.

2. It is not in your front yard.

There are clear guidelines on placements and disruptions. You probably pass several caches on a daily basis and don't even know they are there. Geocaching creates more clean environment than it does pollution. Many parks and other public places are cleaned on a regular basis by geocachers.

Basically you are flaming people who more than likely take out more trash than you do.

thank you and when i dive to hide things i always take my bag so i can pic up trash like bottles and other things that are down there.

I think the idea of geocaching underwater is absurd. Most are going to leave plastic containers. Maybe not much of an issue in a lake but in the ocean, mother nature has a way of moving things even when you think they're well secured. When that happens, you've just contributed to the massive quantities of plastic already in the ocean. Is diving so boring that you need to play a game while doing it? Just go get an underwater metal detector instead. Or search for waste/garbage and do some clean up.

I think the idea of geocaching underwater is absurd. Most are going to leave plastic containers. Maybe not much of an issue in a lake but in the ocean, mother nature has a way of moving things even when you think they're well secured. When that happens, you've just contributed to the massive quantities of plastic already in the ocean. Is diving so boring that you need to play a game while doing it? Just go get an underwater metal detector instead. Or search for waste/garbage and do some clean up.

Very well said. Thank you.

DAN has an interesting article in AlertDiverOnline about Scubacaching, we have a group that is planning a trip to the Florida Keys and there is one hidden there (Key Largo) called 5 Fathom Cache.
Anyone that says "Any crap that you dump in the ocean is garbage" must not be an advocate for artifical reefs nor a fan of wreck diving...both of which I enjoy along with Geocaching.

2. It is not in your front yard.

There are clear guidelines on placements and disruptions. You probably pass several caches on a daily basis and don't even know they are there. Geocaching creates more clean environment than it does pollution. Many parks and other public places are cleaned on a regular basis by geocachers.

Basically you are flaming people who more than likely take out more trash than you do.

Just ignore him. He clearly does not understand what a geocache is despite multiple attempts to inform him.

Oh, okay, let me dump a pile of garbage in your front yard. It won't present a danger to you or your family. I'll call it "geocaching" and everything will be fine.

Oh, okay, let me dump an old rundown (or wrecked) boat in your front yard. It won't present a danger to you or your family. I'll call it wreck diving and everything will be fine. Oh, wait a second...

There is a geocache in Lake Chelan, Eastern Washington. It is in 110 feet of water (Cold water, drysuit recommended) where a car drove off a cliffside, someone put the cache there. Looks fun I will be checking it out soon. I googled scuba diving lake chelan and found it... You would probably be better off searching lake chelan SCUBA geocache... Good luck, leave me something cool to find. I know just what to leave already...

Interesting thread. For those of you interested in this, I am creating a series of geocaches called "Wreck-amended" I'm placing caches on several wrecks on Broward Count and Miami-Dade county in Florida. Keep your eyes peeled

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom