Scuba Goop & Trident U Mark It Paint Gear Paint are same item

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

for whatever it is worth, i believe you scuba.com...there is no way you can know about every item you carry....i used to joke that Alabama fans would buy a pile of dog crap if it had univ of alabama stamped on it (sorry bama fans, I used to work retail in Gadsden)...the same is true with most divers (and most SEC fans). I can say that since I am both. I don't think any of us would have known Scuba Goop's alter ego without FlaRanger relaying it to us. That is the main reason I join these forums - for information I would not normally get from my small circle of dive buddies and the brief conversations at the LDS....

I shared this thread with my dinner conversation with my wife and family tonight. I am the only diver in my family, but my wife (who is quite artsy) got a good chuckle.

all is ok (I think)....maybe it will die now...

:cheers:

I looked around and found another online dive shop that sells the one-dollar "Scribbles 3D Paint" as "Scuba Goop" for $8.36 plus shipping. For a one-ounce bottle! So Scuba.com is not the worst perpetrator. Still, an honest product description -- that this is Scibbles 3D Paint available at most craft stores but works great for marking gear -- would allow divers to decide if they would rather walk into a store pay and buck for it or pay $X plus shipping for the same item.

Sorry but the whole relabeling thing -- and website marketing text saying this is specially formulated to stick to wetsuits, BCDs, etc. -- just seems sneaky to me.

And, um ... roll tide.

Some of you may remember me posting a thread about "Scuba Goop," a product sold on Scuba.com for $6 (plus shipping) which was just a relabeled bottle of "Scribbles 3D Paint" available at any crafts store for about a buck. Well, it is interesting to note that Scuba.com has pulled Scuba Goop from its site .... but it now sells "Trident U-Mark It Gear Marking Paint," which is the exact same product, and still for six bucks (plus shipping). This product does work well for marking gear (neoprene and porous items; not so much fins, masks, etc.), but divers should know you can get the exact same thing -- "Scribbles 3D Paint" -- in town for about a dollar.

FR

p.s.

The fact that they would pull a product with bad reviews and then sell the same product under a different name just seems sneaky to me. If they said in the description that this is Scribbles 3D Paint available at most craft stores but great for marking scuba gear, divers could decide for themselves if the convenience of ordering online is worth the extra money.

Strange indeed,

LP has the Brite-Mark Pen a permanent underwater marking pen. For $2 more this pen marks all your equipment, fins and mask included. Might be able to find it at your local hardware store as well.

Not familiar with that pen, but marking pens in general seem to fade fast and need frequent remarking. The Scribbles 3D Paint works great and lasts. I just wish scuba supply shops would stop marketing it as something else and be honest about it. At least one other site sells it for even more than scuba.com (and a few sell it for less -- but all still marked way up because it says "scuba" on it.).

As for Leisure Pro, I'm suspicious of LP anyway because they sell ScubaPro BCs and other products and say they have a full warranty, but it's not the manufacturer's warranty, which includes lifetime free parts. Scubapro/Uwatec doesn't have any authorized online retailers. (I buy big-ticket items like that at the LDS anyway just to support the local business.)

Good grief. Betcha spend a lot of time worrying about Area 51 as well. :wink: The private lable of the Scooba Goop ended when our stock of it ran out. We simply chose not to renew it. That isn't something that "just happens" and to continue with the product from the vendor we would have had to had our re-order in well before your initial comments on the product.

Your thoughts might be a bit more accurately aimed at the distributor of the product. The product is listed completely based on it's cost with normal mark up from the distributor we obtain it through. Nothing more. Nothing less. You have to understand that ALL shops purchase from the distributors they deal with. In this case the product usually comes from Innovative or Trident. We all sell it as it is described in the catalog. When you find a GMC dealer selling what is basically a Chevy pick up with a GMC label as a Chevy pick up, let everybody know. It's nothing different than that. No conspiracy. No dishonesty. The dive shops are simply listing the product they are purchasing to sell as the product they are purchasing to sell.

That's a lot of fine sounding double talk.

Just describe it honestly and let divers decide if the convenience of ordering it online is worth the extra cost.

Not long ago I posted a thread about Scuba Goop. This is a good product for marking gear, but it sells on Scuba.com for six bucks plus shipping, and the exact same item can be bought at any crafts store or crafts department in town as Scribbles 3-D Paint for about a dollar. I posted a review on Scuba.com stating that Scuba Goop was simply a relabeled bottle of Scribbles 3-D Paint. That review was deleted from Scuba.com, and their representative stated on this board that its disappearance was a great mystery.

Now Scuba.com is selling Scibbles 3-D Paint relabeled as Trident U-Mark-It Gear Marking Paint, again for six dollars plus shipping versus the one dollar price of the original product.

I purchased a bottle, just to have the privilege of letting divers know they can find it elsewhere cheaper (you have to buy an item from scuba.com to review it there), but guess what? When I went to post my review, I found I am blocked from reviewing that product.

Now, this is a good product for marking wetsuits, gloves, etc. (not so much on masks, fins and slick surfaces), and you may well want to pay the $6 plus shipping just for the convenience of not having to look for it locally. Scuba.com will say the price is jacked up already by their suppliers before they jack it up even more. But it seems to me honest reviews ought to be allowed on any website that purports to do business honestly. Especially when they claim to be by divers, for divers.

... and your point is?

It's bad form to go to a vendor's own website and try steering their customers elsewhere to buy merchandise. It's also perfectly within the website owner's perogative to delete ANY post that negatively impacts their business.

There's this little thing called "common sense" ... while I'm sure you have good intentions, that's a fairly dumb way of going about dispensing it.

I doubt you'll find a vendor anywhere who would tolerate what you're attempting to do.

Posting that information on a "neutral" site ... like ScubaBoard ... is a much better idea.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom