Scuba in Britain & the weather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

last time I was away on one they had to cancel all the dives on Elphinstone due to conditions

Was that due to wind/waves or fast currents, or both? What time of year was that?
We’re heading to Marsa Allam for a land-based holiday in 3 weeks and I’m hoping to dive Elphinstone. Apart from air & sea temperature and marine life you’re likely to see, I couldn’t quite figure out whether conditions were better/worse at certain times of year.

Cheers.

Was that due to wind/waves or fast currents, or both? What time of year was that?
We’re heading to Marsa Allam for a land-based holiday in 3 weeks and I’m hoping to dive Elphinstone. Apart from air & sea temperature and marine life you’re likely to see, I couldn’t quite figure out whether conditions were better/worse at certain times of year.

Cheers.
IIRC it was currents but I am not 100% sure.

We're spoiled for choice on the Scottish West Coast. Diving is available year round; I've only done 2 freshwater dives in the last 18 years.

The number of people diving UK waters is on the decline. When I talk to UK divers abroad they think UK waters are devoid of life, the reality is there is as much, if not more, to see in UK waters than the tropics. Diving a dry suit isn't rocket science, just takes a bit of practice.

We're spoiled for choice on the Scottish West Coast. Diving is available year round; I've only done 2 freshwater dives in the last 18 years.

The number of people diving UK waters is on the decline. When I talk to UK divers abroad they think UK waters are devoid of life, the reality is there is as much, if not more, to see in UK waters than the tropics. Diving a dry suit isn't rocket science, just takes a bit of practice.
I know that around me it’s the price of a drysuit that stops most people, if it was cheaper they would probably be willing to try at least.

I know that around me it’s the price of a drysuit that stops most people, if it was cheaper they would probably be willing to try at least.
No-one up here on the other side of the North Sea certifies wet, and virtually everyone dives dry because diving wet is just miserable.

No-one up here on the other side of the North Sea certifies wet, and virtually everyone dives dry because diving wet is just miserable.
In the UK, some do their dives abroad or some get certified in 7mm when the water is a bit warmer.

Others just get certified in rental drysuits but it does not mean that they own one. There is a very active UK Facebook group to buy second hands drysuits though.

In the UK, some do their dives abroad or they get certified in 7mm when the water is a bit warmer.

Others just get certified in rental drysuits but it does not mean that they own one.
I know - or know of - quite a few dozen divers in the local community. If I count diligently, I might be able to name - or at least identify - some 50 or more. I can easily count on one finger the number of people I know who dives wet locally. Except the freedivers. For a damned good reason.

A used neoprene drysuit isn't that much more expensive than a new wetsuit, at least not around here. The market for used suits is a buyer's market, and if you know how to check the seals and the zipper you can make a pretty good deal compared to buying new.

I know - or know of - quite a few dozen divers in the local community. If I count diligently, I might be able to name - or at least identify - some 50 or more. I can easily count on one finger the number of people I know who dives wet locally. Except the freedivers. For a damned good reason.

A used neoprene drysuit isn't that much more expensive than a new wetsuit, at least not around here. The market for used suits is a buyer's market, and if you know how to check the seals and the zipper you can make a pretty good deal compared to buying new.
Well I edited my post too late :)

But that’s also why some people just don’t do it: it’s actually quite hard to start scuba diving and know how to choose a second hand drysuit without help after your OW.

In the UK, some do their dives abroad or some get certified in 7mm when the water is a bit warmer.

Others just get certified in rental drysuits but it does not mean that they own one. There is a very active UK Facebook group to buy second hands drysuits though.
Agreed - I certified in a 7mm wetsuit but later bought a drysuit (to allow me to enjoy longer dives and extend the dive season). I can dive wet from about 8C+ but my preference would be drysuit now.

Between various scuba selling groups on Facebook, Ebay, Gumtree as well as the various shops such as Otter, O3 etc selling off demo suits, there is a good market for used/nearly new drysuits. A lot depends on size though with "average" sizes being very common and cheap but if you are at the extremes of normal sizing (such as me at 6'3 and slightly more around my waist than I should), it becomes more of a chore (suits do come up but not quite as often and can be a bit dearer).

A lot depends on size though with "average" sizes being very common and cheap but if you are at the extremes of normal sizing (such as me at 6'3 and slightly more around my waist than I should), it becomes more of a chore (suits do come up but not quite as often and can be a bit dearer).
Interesting. Most used suits I see advertised up here are either men's XL or womens' small. Those in the medium size range are usually gone before I've seen the ad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom