Scuba Police @ Philadelphia Quarry, TN (Lambertsen rebreather trials)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a private quarry who is responsible for enforcing the rules? A random instructor with students? Or an employee?

Yes. LOL

As a private quarry who is responsible for enforcing the rules? A random instructor with students? Or an employee?

If the instructor is an employee of the quarry, then he has the authority to enforce the owner's rules. If the instructor just uses the quarry to train his students then, other than his students, he has no authority to tell anyone what to do. Period.

If the instructor is an employee of the quarry, then he has the authority to enforce the owner's rules. If the instructor just uses the quarry to train his students then, other than his students, he has no authority to tell anyone what to do. Period.

Ah therein lays the rub. How do you know who is sanctioned by the owner? THIS instructor is. I suspect the owner (a local LDS in Knoxville) probably asks all the local instructors to watch for safety concerns. The instructor is a frequent user of the quarry FWIW.

Ah therein lays the rub. How do you know who is sanctioned by the owner? THIS instructor is. I suspect the owner (a local LDS in Knoxville) probably asks all the local instructors to watch for safety concerns. The instructor is a frequent user of the quarry FWIW.

Did he IDENTIFY himself as having a particular authority?

Show me a badge, Deputy, or be prepared to have your authority questioned.

In the absence of any evidence to the contrary, even something so simple / slim as a claim of authority delegated from the owner, he is simply another blowhard too big for his britches, sticking his nose where it doesn't belong and is unwelcome. Regardless of if the OP was engaged in safe or unsafe activity.

Yes, you can always stick your nose in. Free country and all of that. But the free country bit cuts both ways. Without authority...

Heck how could the owner prove he was the owner that would be suitable to you? Freeeeedddooommm.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I took the PADI Scuba Police Course and I am now revoking all of your C-Cards. If you don't have one, I am legally bound to issue one so I can revoke it.

:-D

I think we all need a dive REAL bad.

Read this thread (plus the earlier Scuba Police thread.)

My take:

1) OP didn't really tell story accurately.

2) Local watering holes with any instructor less than 20 years diving likely doesn't know (how would they unless they had an interest?) about sport diving history including gear.

3) Local Inst. probably meant no harm as it's not usual to see someone fixing gear on site.

4) If OP got hurt wanna' bet people would ask who, what agency inst. was there blah blah and then blame someone else for NOT butting in (violating all the ranting about freedom to do whatever you want.)

I'm a geezer diver with 41 years this year doing this. Started with all the old crap people talk about.

Was an instructor(retired), owned a dive store, led trips, shot and sold photos in publications, worked trade shows for mfrs. etc.

Love the old stuff but dive newer streamlined modern stuff on trips. I've been looked funny at my local quarry with older gear diving it for giggles so I can relate a bit. Especially with no SPG, a J-Valve tank, no BC, etc. I keep a low profile and don't tout it to new students either.

Point being I try and see both sides.....

But I've also seen way too many vintage users who are one step away from buying the farm :( #1 is terrible physical condition, can't swim, get down, dive overweighted, and more. Frankly, totally crap divers.

Then again this is most modern divers these days. Too much gear on, no basic watermanship skills, poor physical condition, etc.

So I'm going to hate myself for even posting this :)

dhaas

P.S. - Having a C-Card is a learner's permit to continue being a better diver your whole career. That includes an Instructor card. The stories I could tell about bad divers with instructor cards could fill a book :(

Last edited:
Dhaas thanks for your post.

sent via nookcolor N2A.

All gear is not what others dive that they are familiar with, Myself I dive many different setups, it keeps me thinking when I prepare for a dive, the other is makes me aware of different dive gear while diving.

dhaas out of shape divers are a potential safety, I just hit there myself, last monday I hit 217 and the dry hood was constricting on the dive that day. The #'s were adding up in the past few months, yet my strength was not there to stop the #'s from adding.
Yesterday I was 208 and the dive was much more comfortable and today i have not ate anything so to shrink stomach for I know that being in shape is the most comfort there is in diving.

This is what I did since yard work, cutting and chopping wood was not enough.

1> need to stop the beer and wine and all mixed drinks..
2> need to feel better in the morning so not to eat as much(goes back to #1)
3> to heavy to run it off.

So I have this simple quest If I can touch this guys nose with my mouse I can have a drink.selfcontrolfreak

Try it yourself it has worked for me and now I am doing the same for food.

Is this the Instructor at the quarry and does he have self control if you decided to get in his face?

VooDoo, I can tell you that the instructor is a very humble man and you would not feel the need to get in his face. I am certain he would not have acted in the manner he did if it wasn't justified. Hey, I have no bias, I was surprised when he told me about the thread. (I knew about it before). I was thinking to myself that the instructor has/had never shown any inclination to be a "respect my authoriti" type of guy. Certainly not to me, he did what he did for a reason. The instructor doesn't even feel a need to get on here and say anything. And as far as I know he doesn't know I'm standing up for him. He was just doing the right thing.

Back
Top Bottom