For Sale Scuba Pro Gas Gauge tank valves -- and can you tell me more?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tmassey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello!

This is a combination for-sale and what-is-this post. I purchased a pair of PST steel LP tanks (I think they're LP120s!) with a pair of interesting valves. I was told that they are 'Scuba Pro Gas Guage Valves'. I've never heard of or seen anything like these.

IMG_1133.png IMG_1134.png

Notice the strip on the back? It's got an F on one end, and an E on the other. It seems tank pressure pushes up a rod to tell you if the tank is full or not! A J-valve (so during the time of no SPG's!) *and* a pressure gauge in the valve. Interesante.

The tanks have a born-on date in 1971, and I assume they're original to the tanks. During that time, they only had two hydros, and the last one was in the mid 1990's. So I figure they've spent a *lot* of time in someone's garage. When I got them, I got new hydros, and put new valves on them -- I use DIN.

I thought someone might know some more about these and could share. And maybe someone would want them for their collection. $75 for the pair, shipped USPS Priority Mail in the continental US. I actually wouldn't mind keeping them around as a conversation piece, but we've been Marie Kondo'ed. It's a cult.

Thanks for looking. I hope you found them interesting.

Yes, those are SP DCAR (Depth Compensated Adjustable Reserve) valves. Just as you suspected, they have an "Empty to Full" gauge built into the tank so one can see the fill status before diving. Also note the J valve that was popular when SPGs were not used. Of course, a J valve is a reserve valve similar in function to the reserve valve on a motorcycle. The pressure at which the reserve level is reached is adjustable on these models.

You may find this thread interesting.

Scubapro DCAR tank valve with gauge.

Back
Top Bottom