Scuba Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got two Mk16's, which are sealed, no swivel to fail, simple, and tough. I've also got two Mk20's which will be converted to Mk25's as soon as annually inspected and rebuilt. (Cost is supposedly $25, and eliminates having to adjust the intermediate pressure with shims, adding a hex fitting I think). I also have 3 R380's and a G500. I don't see much difference between them except for the "dive" knob that I sometimes forget to turn, which basically adjusts the cracking point up and down a bit, and relieves pressure on the seat when not diving. Big Whoop.

I have removed the tiny plastic pins and can tear down and adjust my second stage in a couple of minutes, if it free flows at all. By doing this, I can keep the breathing resistance at the edge of free flow, but don't have to haul them back to the shop each time they free flow. If you want, you can detune them a bit and never get any free flow. This is very desirable for your necklaced secondary reg.

I have no complaints, and expect the regs to outlast me. I might like to try an Apex someday just to see if there is any noticable difference, which I doubt.

Overall, if buying one set, I'd buy a Mk16, a 380, and a big old Dive Rite SPG.

I started with Mk 2s and Balanced Adjustables. More gas than you need. Now have several R380s, R 190s (same insides, just larger housing), some Mk 15s, Mk 20s, and a Mk 25. The biggest pain in the a** to work on is the Air II. I think it has more losable parts in it than any of the regs. I prefer the new R380s without the "dive" button on the front.

Personally, I'm a Poseidon, and Apeks fan, but, Scubapros are tough to beat. The new Scubapros have too many plastic parts for my liking. Found one 2nd stage freeflow was caused by flash material off the plastic 2nd stage seat holder, stuck to the seat itself. Mk 2s are definitely the easiest to work on and adjust.

I'll keep em.

I own both the MK20 and MK20 ultralight with G500 second stages. After starting with other manufacture regulators and having problems (sometimes at depth), I read all the literature and all the test results (mostly Rodele's). Dollar for dollar the MK20/(pick your second stage) will do the job under any condition.

My MK 20 has been used so much (mostly in cold water) that one of the balanced pistons was allowing a minor freeflow but at depth it still was like breathing on land! I recently completed four cold water dives in California and the regulator was invisible interms of breathing ease.

Like anything expensive, I take extremely good care of my regs. I also own a couple of Oceanic Delta's as my second regulator (note I did not say octopus) and they are a bargin with the performance they deliver.

You can buy a more expensive reg but not a better one than Scuba Pro.

There are a lot of People who are stuck on Apex and haven't even used them on this site. No one comments on the breathing, the topic of discussion is din or yoke. But they are good? If you haven't used them you shouldn't be writing about them.

I am an Advanced Trimix Diver, Cave Diver, and Technical Instructor. I've used every reg in the industry.

If you want the BEST. Get a Scuba Pro. They breath easier in all depths, are more comfortable, more reliable, great in cold water (I'm live in Canada). Mark 20 first stage configures hoses better than any reg out there, and the pricing isn't that bad.

If you want the Best you need to spend a little bit more. I use a MK20/S600 combination as my primary life support system. I use a Poseidon Jetstream as my backup reg. The Scuba Pro blows every one away! Even their entry level regs are good I have 3 MK2/R190's for deco bottles, and they jam the air out too!

Get one, you'll be happy you did!

:)

Great regs I used a g200 cheapest reg at the time for 14 years
700 plus dives no problems !
Rick L

Originally posted by Matt

If you want the BEST. Get a Scuba Pro. They breath easier in all depths, are more comfortable, more reliable, great in cold water (I'm live in Canada). The Scuba Pro blows every one away!
:)
I've read quite a few posts and heard a few people complain that Scuba Pro's tend to free flow. So I don't buy your comment that they are the be all end all definitive #1 reg out there. I won't argue that they are top notch regs but IMO it all comes down to personal preference. "He likes Chevy's I like Dodge" :p

SCUBAPRO regs are great, ease of breathing and blah, blah, blah...... Because of it's sensitivity, it tends to become more subjective to free flows and minor leaks. It also requires more handling.

My suggestions are;

For great performance regs, choose Scubapro MK20 w/ S600.

For comfortable and easy maintainance regs, the Sherwood's Oasis is reccommended (more cost effective too).

However, best advise is to check with you LDS on what sort of regs has the better support for your area. You surely do not want to have servicing difficulties.

Cheers...

My LDS just updated its "service" web. They've added an interesting caveat.

.....provides service on most Scuba equipment now including Drager. If your regulator (with exception of ......... and mail order), BCD, hoses, whatever needs maintenance, bring it in! We can fix it!

Hi performance is a relative thing and SP regulators have undergone extensive development and evolution to stay out front. This comes at the price of increasing complexity and cost. However, the complexity does not seem to have sacrificed reliability.

The early piston regulators had a reputation as "leakers", I think that this was due to the O rings in the first stage and the soft seat used in the adjustable second stage. Abrasion from sand and salt affected the rings and the seats would depress or take a "set". Also, the adjustment knob on the second was notorious for freezing up with corrosion of the brass.

Improved O ring material, new plastics, and improved machining of the first stage along with many minor refinements such as silicone diaphragms and exhaust valves have virtually eliminated most reliability problems, but not all. From the beginning of time, Scubapro 2nd's relied on weak spring pressures and soft LP seats to achieve ease of breathing(low cracking pressure). This arrangement, even today, has resulted in an uneasy balance. If anything wears or takes a "set", there is the annoying, if slight, freeflow.

This was known from the get go and accepted as a price of high performance. These were the first single hose regulators which had a competitive level of quality and performance compared to the old R.AquaMaster double hose. SP recognized the compromises necessary to achieve this and required yearly service intervals whereas the old double hose, which these regulators were replacing, could go for several years, usually.

Periodically, SP has reengaged their engineering departments to solve, at any price, the lingering problem of free flow. Refinements of the balanced valve 2nd include gimmicks such as the diaphragm depressor button and most recently, a device to relieve pressure on the 2nd stg seat altogether when not pressurized, eg in storage. Moreover, there is available now a user adjustable intermediate pressure device for the first stage. Recession of the first stage seat would cause a gradual rise in pressure leading to chattering and was yet another possible cause of freeflow. Until recently, this adjustment was by a mickey mouse set of shims.

To me, the biggest improvement of all, notwithstanding the claims of huge potential air flow, cold performance, Lord knows what, has been the advent of the plastic second stage and the silicone mouthpiece. The old regs had heavy, brass seconds with distinctly uncomfortable grips.

I use the MK20/G250. This regulator still requires use of the silly diaphragm depressor button while stored but other than that, I have no complaints. It is hard to imagine a better performer. Who would have thunk it, that a device so simple in principle could have teased engineers for so many years? Keep it up, guys, the rebreather is still out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom