Scuba Schools of America-Riverside?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Nick,

My wife and I (and possible several friends) are about to take classes from SSA in Riverside. The owner's name is Wayne and is a terrific guy. Their standard class is 8 weeks with lots of pool (they have their own 14' pool) dives (I think 16 hours) and ocean dives as well class room time. Their fast-track course is only 4 weeks and seems similar to other programs I've seen. My understanding is that you have lifetime use of their pool and tanks if you want to practice - just walk in, grab a tank and hit the pool.

The other really good dive shop in Riverside is Wiley's on La Cadena. The guys there are very active in the dive community and a great to talk with. They are always planning trips and many dive clubs meet there. Tony Wiley apparently dives for the county and is called upon by the Sheriff's Dept (and other agencies), there are several PD officers also. They seem like a fun bunch - I think they dive everyday of the year.

Hope this helps ... I can offer you more info after our first class. If you have any other questions let me know by email.

Paul

Wiley's also plans an annual Baja trip that lasts 2 weeks. You can camp on the beach or rent a villa. Food is usually caught during the dives and there is no fee to go on the trip. Just bring your gear and carpool down! Apparently there are people from all over CA that go on these trips. Wiley's doesn't have a pool so they use Moreno Valley Pool for the pool dives, then they go to Lake Perris (!!) for calm water dives and then ocean dives. Boat dives are extra.

HTH
Paul

Hey blitz,

I did not get certified thru them but Rusty in his crew at SSA Riverside are a hoot. We have been on the Aquatica and the Pacific Star with some of them.

they seem to be very good instructors from my observations when they had their students doing OW skills. A lot of the divers from that shop use rebreathers (at least they did on the dives I was with them). I wouldn't hesitate to dive with them in the future if I was in the area.

Have only met 1 graduate of their program, but the 8-week course with future use of pool sure sounds like the right idea!

Originally posted by Paul & Leila
Wiley's also plans an annual Baja trip that lasts 2 weeks. You can camp on the beach or rent a villa. Food is usually caught during the dives and there is no fee to go on the trip. Just bring your gear and carpool down! Apparently there are people from all over CA that go on these trips. Wiley's doesn't have a pool so they use Moreno Valley Pool for the pool dives, then they go to Lake Perris (!!) for calm water dives and then ocean dives. Boat dives are extra.

HTH
Paul

Hay Paul,
Where is SSA Riverside located? Are they the ones on Indiana? I grew up in Riverside (La Sierra) and they were the first dive shop I ever went into. That was close to 30 years ago! Heck, I can remember when Moreno Valley was a little goat roper town out in the middle of nowhere, and Perris lake was brand new! Man I'm starting to feel old ;-}

I just may have to make them my new LDS. We (wife and I) are new to Riverside. We were born and raised behind the Orange Curtain. I wasnt even sure I would be able to find a nice dive shop, and in Riverside of all places!

Thanks for the information!

Rooster - Yes, they are on Indiana.

Blitzpb - :) I was surprised to find these two shops out here also ... but I'm not complaining. :)

BTW - SSA in Riverside is having their annual Summer party (sponsored by KCAL). Its supposed to be open to everyone and will include underwater wheel chair races in their heated pool :wink: Apparently they attach a tank to the back of a wheel chair and race against another down a 14 foot drop and across ... never seen this before!

Back
Top Bottom