Scuba Shack's Boat Get Wet Sinks in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you remember where the life vests were stored on the boat when you were there?

They were stored under bench seats in middle of boat with life boat on top....

why would you not grab your BCD?

There are currently 39 users browsing this thread. (20 members and 19 guests)

:popcorn:

don't know what the numbers were on this the other day after it happened. But this is apparently being googled and read and/or discussed on other forums, facebook links, etc...

72577_111818835549759_100001649305172_104169_1764005_n.jpg
picture from their facebook page. Link to their facebook page. I worked on another dive boat in the keys for over a year. We usually refered to the "get wet" as the "get we" since they had a letter missing on the starboard side of their boat.

I doubt that a Discover student would think of a BCD as a life vest, much less remember how to orally inflate - and not my first choice either. But then I'd be the dork already wearing my snorkel vest anyway.

Sorry, No head. Still if this photo is accurate, they had forward stowage and someone had to get the life preservers out.
View attachment 111133

I just want to clarify something. I posted this photo (and a few others) earlier in this thread. In that post I mentioned that this photo (and some of the others I posted) are of a 27' Burpee, that is definitely not the "Get Wet." I was just posting them to have a look at the overall setup, since the overall design looked similar, if possibly a bit smaller. I did say that I'm not sure if the 30' Burpee is the same.

(OTOH, I did not find many 30' Burpee's on the web, although there were many smaller and larger Burpee dive boats; so it's possible that a custom 30' Burpee is the same "base" as a 27 but with an added swim platform or something like that to give it a longer LOA.)

Blue Sparkle

PS: Looks like this was clarified just above here; sorry about any redundancy, but I just wanted to be sure the photos I posted were not taken as the "Get Wet." Also, I'm on the road with limited 'net access right now and I can't figure out how to get the photo I "quoted" at the top of this post to show (at least it does not show for me).

I doubt that a Discover student would think of a BCD as a life vest, much less remember how to orally inflate - and not my first choice either. But then I'd be the dork already wearing my snorkel vest anyway.

You mean the dork floating at the surface? ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why, so it doesn't get lost? A BCD is NOT and should never be used as a life vest. Even the CO2 inflatable kind are not considered life vests (but are work vests) by the Coast Guard. Why? A life vest must be inherently buoyant, and it must float a unconscious victim face out of the water. Many have head rests on the back of the collar for added buoyancy. A BCD is designed to keep you trim while under the water. Any captain who briefs you to grab for a BCD when the boat is sinking is having a pull on your leg.

OW classes don't typically teach that. not as part of a curriculum

now days it's slap them through the class room, dunk em in the pool, get their 4 dives in and get their ass out the door.

just because they are certified divers doesn't mean they know squat about boat safety

Gosh, this is informative. I had no idea that proper technique for leaping from a sinking dive boat used to be a standard part of dive instruction before it was dumbed down.

Gosh, this is informative. I had no idea that proper technique for leaping from a sinking dive boat used to be a standard part of dive instruction before it was dumbed down.

Part of the coast guard required briefing has some critical safety information, such has where life jackets are and where the life rafts are. In my experience divers are too busy setting up their dive gear or talking with a friend to listen to this info. Many instructors don't place enough emphases on people listening to this..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom