Scuba Shack's Boat Get Wet Sinks in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Non-boaters instinctively backing away from the rising water (as discussed) certainly makes sense in this instance (no facts just opinion).
A reasonable hunch, yes - could have happened that way.

When a post previously mentioned how unprepared we all are for such an event, I thought of you and how you WOULD be prepared by wearing your vest. However, getting trapped in the hull......not sure how I'd handle that one.
I'd not inflate it until I swam out, I hope.

I'd not inflate it until I swam out, I hope.

Well said. None of us can know what we would do in such abnormal circumstances until we are faced with the challenge. One of the reasons I read stuff like this on SB is in the hopes that it will provide some mental practice of strategies that may be accessible in a moment of need. Of course, if your brain just goes to white noise, it doesn't matter, but one can try.

If you were trapped in the bow of a sinking boat and in a panic your reaction would most likely be to swim up, not down to get out of the boat. Just like in a rescue situation with a diver or swimmer in a full panic at the surface. If you can submerge below the person in panic they surely will not follow, then you can come up from behind. Not saying this is what happened but it seems likely that they might not of realizd they needed to first swim down in order to go up. SO SAD for the families

Well said. None of us can know what we would do in such abnormal circumstances until we are faced with the challenge. One of the reasons I read stuff like this on SB is in the hopes that it will provide some mental practice of strategies that may be accessible in a moment of need. Of course, if your brain just goes to white noise, it doesn't matter, but one can try.

This is SO important!

We all think we'd grab our BC and tank . . . but really? If you don't practice it, it ain't gonna happen!

If you were trapped in the bow of a sinking boat and in a panic your reaction would most likely be to swim up, not down to get out of the boat. Just like in a rescue situation with a diver or swimmer in a full panic at the surface. If you can submerge below the person in panic they surely will not follow, then you can come up from behind. Not saying this is what happened but it seems likely that they might not of realizd they needed to first swim down in order to go up. SO SAD for the families

And if the boat is sinking vertically or already upside down, the perspective of the room is totally altered of WHERE to escape.

Looks like USCG boarded her August 4, 2011. I'm surprised she was still operating after that. :hm:

They boarded on that day when I lost consciousness after working towards my advanced with Scuba Shack, as posted here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/391976-incident-spiegel.html

I know they had boarded and I believe were getting statements from the captain and other passengers as I was being taken to the hospital, but there seems to be no report that exists as far as I've been able to find. In addition, again, not knowing procedure, as it was strictly a medical emergency in this case, I don't know that they would need to inspect the boat.

I cannot speak to the quality of the ship, I lack the experience to know if there was anything wrong at the time. I will say that the captain, the same captain as what happened here, was instrumental in getting me on board the boat and performing first aid. He's young, and I have no idea how good a job he did keeping the boat going, assuming it was his job and not that of the owners.

As for the owners, the less said, the better. I noticed that their website has all but been taken down, I assume for liability for any impending lawsuits: Key Largo Diving at its best, Scuba Diving, Dive Key Largo, John Pennekamp, Snorkel, Scuba Instruction, Affordable Diving, Scuba dive key largo, cheap, fun, free dive guide, Spiegel grove, duane, bibb and eagle

I was slated to dive with them this Monday. I am thankful the news got out quickly from everyone here at Scubaboard and thanks to some help from Elena, I was able to get on with another group so none of my upcoming dives were cancelled. Considering this is probably a very busy season, I consider myself very lucky.

I received an e-mail yesterday from the shop letting me know the shop was closed indefinitely and all trips are being cancelled "due to a very unfortunate accident".

Reactions: Jax
It's my understanding that this was once an inspected vessel. But for your own conclusions they either did not or could not renew the ticket. So now a six pac.

IMO. the CG as a direct result of this incident will be pressured to "inspect" all commercial for hire boats, albeit cursory for the six pacs.

Horrible and I wish my first review would have reached more people as I could promise that this company was going to hurt a diver very soon!
!

Where was this post. Did you notify C.G. about the 8 divers and 3 crew on a non inspected 6 pack.( if that is what the the boat actually is ) Better to be poactive then reactive.

Sorry, No head. Still if this photo is accurate, they had forward stowage and someone had to get the life preservers out.
View attachment 111133

This is not criticism of anybody but if you were on a dive boat that you heard was sinking, wouldn't you grab your bcd and jump clear? Assuming you had time? I'd grab the strap on my plate, inflate and heave it into the water at least. Again, if there was time. I would also still be in my wet/drysuit and would certainly not wait for life vests. Perhaps there were non-divers on the boat?

Yes, I suppose the discovery divers would have been the least prepared for ANY emergency on a boat.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom